Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at my current project, too close for too long? >

Looking at my current project, too close for too long?

Looking at my current project, too close for too long?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Unhappy Looking at my current project, too close for too long?

Do others have this happen? After putting over 4 hours of piece work last night,I seem to have lost the 'nice pattern' I found when I started and it just seems blah.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

A picture might help garner some suggestions. It might be you have just looked at it too long.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Happens to me, yes. Several hours at a time and I can begin to lose all interest, if not actively dislike, what I'm working on. Usually the next day I'll get my mojo back, though. Sometimes you just have to step away for awhile. Looking at quilt magazines or catalogs usually renews my enthusiasm.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM

We Amber (adopted rescue beagle) and Polly (fostered rescue beagle) say leave that silly sewing for a while and play with us. In a while you'll have a whole new perspective on your project. From the only human in this house: If you go play with the dogs you can spend the time dehairing yourself to think about the pattern. All the best from DE Joyce and her pack.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:12 PM

I tend to keep close something that shows me the end result of whatever I am doing - picture or drawing.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM

I actually give myself a small reward for completing a portion of a large project. Right now I am working on my niece's wedding quilt--something like 300 blocks all together. I have broken the blocks down into manageable amounts and after finishing an allotment, I reward myself with working on a block for a BOM I subscribe to. Otherwise I know that I would lose perspective and get bored with this huge project.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM

This is one reason I have just a few projects going at the same time - in different stages. I can work on cutting; sewing; quilting as my mood requires/desires. Not all the time but frequently. Sometimes we just need to do something a bit different for a while and not get mired in 'details'.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM

I drive myself crazy doing that! I will also see every tiny "mistake" in it and think it is terrible and should wad it up and throw it away. I show it to my daughter who drags me back to reality by saying genuine nice things about it. Without my family reassuring me that what I create is beautiful I would have stopped quilting by now. I am still relatively new at this and am very hard on myself.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 AM

I thought I was the only one who starts out loving the idea , then about half way through , or if I work on the project for too long , I find myself thinking , who in the world is going to like this -I don't even like it.(:
Good t know I'm normal o are w all abnormal--just kidding.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cookie5 View Post
I thought I was the only one who starts out loving the idea , then about half way through , or if I work on the project for too long , I find myself thinking , who in the world is going to like this -I don't even like it.(:
Good t know I'm normal o are w all abnormal--just kidding.
Just call me Abby....Abby Normal !!! I'm in total agreement !