Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Current WIP on my long arm...suggestions needed

The pattern is summer porch and I'm stumped on what to quilt in the triangle area. I thought if I started something would click, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have a longarm machine, unfortunately, but I have to say your quilt is stunning. Love the colours and your quilting. Please post pic of quilt when complete!

Your quilting is awesome. What about cc's around the inside of each triangle?

What about echoing the ones that look like islands in water to look like ripples in water. Also echo the flowers and on the stripes either stitch on the border of each stripe or cross stitch perpendicular to the stripes.

Blog Entries
    I love what you have done so far! Why do you think you need to quilt in the triangles as well - I tend to be of the "less is enough" school and know I would be happy with it as is? Is the space too large to be left alone?

I would do a feather, only because I love them.
    The pic shows my free hand which isn't to hot, but quilting them is so much easier.
    I would draw them out on paper a few times and then quilt.
    Enjoy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh D, That is so pretty..please tell me you are doing that freehand?? If so ..quit your day job! For sure! I keep telling you!

Anyway...as far as the triangle...is ruler work an option...if so I would do graduating triangles.....or you could do the wavy outline and keep going round and round until the area is filled.

You could put a fan in there.....a flower that fills the space...SO many options.
    I love it!

You and I love the same fabrics!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Your quilting is awesome. What about cc's around the inside of each triangle?
    I like the idea and maybe a swirl in the middle to fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patched
    What about echoing the ones that look like islands in water to look like ripples in water. Also echo the flowers and on the stripes either stitch on the border of each stripe or cross stitch perpendicular to the stripes.
    Wow! That would be a great idea, but I'm not a big fan of start and stops.

Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    The pic shows my free hand which isn't to hot, but quilting them is so much easier.
    Enjoy
    Feathers are my favorite too! I have to practice the middle tear drop, mine aren't so good.

I try to divide things in half, and then do the center one first and go back to the bottom left and do that one and work my way back up.
    Lately I have been doing so much free hand I have lots of papers to practice on and it helps to do it on paper first.
    I like filling the whole triangle so there is no need to SID.
    Enjoy, I love your work!
    sue
    Quote Originally Posted by dmyers
    Enjoy
    Feathers are my favorite too! I have to practice the middle tear drop, mine aren't so good.

i think i would simply go around the triangle shape about the presser foot width,,, until it comes to the middle...

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    Oh D, That is so pretty..please tell me you are doing that freehand?? If so ..quit your day job! For sure! I keep telling you!

Anyway...as far as the triangle...is ruler work an option...if so I would do graduating triangles.....or you could do the wavy outline and keep going round and round until the area is filled.

You could put a fan in there.....a flower that fills the space...SO many options.
    I love it!

You can I love the same fabrics!
    Hi C, it is all my FMQ. I still need lots of practice. I was going to do a curved crosshatching in the triangles, but doing one made me confused. I can't seem to get the rulers lined up to go back and make the pretty design. I'm using DeLoas rulers. I'll try again. But I'm also trying to do something that will not make lots of start and stops. How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
    i think i would simply go around the triangle shape about the presser foot width,,, until it comes to the middle...
    That's a great idea!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I love it!

Hi C, it is all my FMQ. I still need lots of practice. I was going to do a curved crosshatching in the triangles, but doing one made me confused. I can't seem to get the rulers lined up to go back and make the pretty design. I'm using DeLoas rulers. I'll try again. But I'm also trying to do something that will not make lots of start and stops. How do you do that?
    Yeah..I love curved crosshatching...

but it takes lots of practice...time consuming.

Well the starts and stops? you will have to follow the SID line to go to each triangle. It will all depend on which design you use..if you do the feather..to fill it..that would work out because you will always end the feather and one of the end of the triangles..then you could just get to the next triangle by sewing in the line.

I try to divide things in half, and then do the center one first and go back to the bottom left and do that one and work my way back up.
    Lately I have been doing so much free hand I have lots of papers to practice on and it helps to do it on paper first.
    I like filling the whole triangle so there is no need to SID.
    Enjoy, I love your work!
    sue
    Enjoy
    Thanks this is my attempt at it....

Ohhh I love it love those fabrics....love your work. What about pebbling in the triangles ?

Blog Entries
    I love your work. I know nothing about designs or how to do them but I am seeing shells

I love it!

Yeah..I love curved crosshatching...

but it takes lots of practice...time consuming.

Well the starts and stops? you will have to follow the SID line to go to each triangle. It will all depend on which design you use..if you do the feather..to fill it..that would work out because you will always end the feather and one of the end of the triangles..then you could just get to the next triangle by sewing in the line.
    Thanks C, I'll have to practice that feather in the triangle to match my feather border.

Blog Entries
    Opps, I took too long posting and you already have done what I was thinking! LOL Perfect

I think the fan will look great.

I like the feather in the triangle.

The biggest thing to learn FMQ is to doodle. I carry a notebook most of the time. This morning in bed, I'm thinking about the moose I'm doing, and looking at the quilt on my wall for ideas...

there is a website I went to that was long arm quilter, there are so many ideas there..
    http://mqresource.com/forum/index.php?app=ccs
    they have classes, you can search anything... take a look.
    and start doodling!

KR
    I am far from an expert, but here's my two-cents-worth.....
    You have beautiful swirly lines in the border feathers and sashing....really love the sashing....so how about using straight (or straighter) lines in the triangles, as a contrast to the swirls? Either concentric triangles or just one line of echoing would depend on how tight you prefer the quilting.

Oops! I missed your photo at the top of the page....that's very pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    Ohhh I love it love those fabrics....love your work. What about pebbling in the triangles ?
    Thank you! Pebbles are fun, I'm nervous I'd start off with pebbles and then end up with boulders.

I would use that feather that suezquilts showed you.. It was just continue with the theme you have in the borders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast