Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for pattern >

looking for pattern

looking for pattern

Old 10-11-2014, 01:44 PM

There are several YouTube videos on making a quillow. If you Google Folded Star Amish Quillow, the pics depict the folded star pattern done like a square in a square to finish out the block for the quillow. If you Google Quillow, there are lots of website tutorials and directions for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:04 AM

Just a comment, I made quillows before I really got into quilting and they are easy to make. I made one for both of my children and one for my niece, as well as a full size for my mother in law and a king size for my mother as mother's day gifts, in the early eighties. I also made this folded star from a pattern about ten years ago as a table topper from a book I purchased, before I heard so much about Amish quilts so I'm not sure who "owns" this pattern. I really think the pattern is pretty.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:08 AM

I made quillows the first year I started quilting - the person leading the class forgot the little detail about a walking foot :-( but luckily her daughter took over and gave us the info (a little late but helped for the later ones!) the shop was really too busy for the class at that time but she did it because we really wanted it and that was the only time we could do it together. but they'd be good on my couch and loveseat
Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I don't really know or have seen what you are talking about.
I did years ago make a folded star pillow, when I washed it it came apart. I had to throw it away. Hopefully the folded star quillow or quilt would be sewn differently.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I don't really know or have seen what you are talking about.
I did years ago make a folded star pillow, when I washed it it came apart. I had to throw it away. Hopefully the folded star quillow or quilt would be sewn differently.
Those folds are supposed to be tacked down as you are making the star, but my DIL had one on which all the folds came loose. I tucked them back in and tacked them down. Now I see one more has come loose, so I guess I forgot to tack it. The directions I saw recently show the tacking down.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Isn't that sort of like the Folded Dahlia that was posted on here a while back..
Old 10-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I'm a little confused. The Amish Folded Star pattern that I'm familiar with is this one, which makes a great hot pad, but you really couldn't make a quilt (or quillow) from it:
http://lauraslittlehousetips.com/diy...ideo-tutorial/
can you take a picture of your friend's quilt and post it? We could probably give you better info that way.

In the 1970's I made more folded stars than I can remember & several adorable baby blankets too I still have the patterns ------ somewhere!!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Don't know what a folded star is, but a quillow can live forever! I made one for my DD when she was 13 and it lives in the trunk of her car as her emergency blanket. Still warm and useful. Oh, yes, my DD is 37 now. :-)
Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
Isn't that sort of like the Folded Dahlia that was posted on here a while back..
This is what I thought.