Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for pattern >

looking for pattern

looking for pattern

Old 10-11-2014, 02:04 AM

Default looking for pattern

A friend of mine showed me a quillow that she bought from the Amish. She says it is Amish Folded Star. Do they sell that pattern? in a Quilt? would love to make that but not in a pillow
Old 10-11-2014, 02:10 AM

A quillow is a lap quilt that has a pouch on one side that you fold & tuck your quilt into . Just don't put the pouch on the reverse side.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

There have been post on this site regarding Folding Star. You might try doing an Advance Search to read previous posts. Yes a quillow is a quilt that folds into a pillow.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm a little confused. The Amish Folded Star pattern that I'm familiar with is this one, which makes a great hot pad, but you really couldn't make a quilt (or quillow) from it:
http://lauraslittlehousetips.com/diy...ideo-tutorial/
can you take a picture of your friend's quilt and post it? We could probably give you better info that way.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:56 AM

The front of the pouch is where the quilt block is featured. At least that is how I made them.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27 AM

Oh, that must be beautiful. I love making quillows. Made one for my nephew and his mom (my sister) asked for one with a large pocket so she could tuck her feet into it on cold nights.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 AM

If the link that paper princess posted, is the pattern that all the talk of the Amish Folding Star is about, someone is just trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Don't know if it is Amish or not, but has been around for ever. I don't think anyone really knows where it came from. I remember seeing the pattern before all of the hoop-a-la about the Amish quilts came into vogue.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:55 AM

I did make a quilt using this pattern alternating it with a plain block and wide borders. Beautiful but heavy. Can be used for a comforter.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 AM

Last winter while wintering in Az. was the first time I saw a qillow and made 3 of them for 3 of my grandchildren. I adjusted the size according to the size of child. I added an 2 inch onto the pillow to give more folding room on the bigger ones. Also add enough batting for warmth, for those who want to use pillow as a foot warmer. My grandchildren use theirs all the time from watching tv, in bed and even take on the airplane as they fly to Texas regularly.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
If the link that paper princess posted, is the pattern that all the talk of the Amish Folding Star is about, someone is just trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.
It's nothing new for an old pattern to be re-named by someone looking to capitalize on the fact that there are always newcomers to the industry.

I agree with Paper Princess - I think a large quilt made with that technique would be extremely heavy.