Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: looking for a quilt pattern with a Navy theme

looking for a quilt pattern with a Navy theme

I am looking for a quilt pattern with a Navy theme. Not to difficult, I am fairly new to quilting.
    Or where I can get material with navy emblem on it. Thanks

You don't say where you are, but Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC always has a good selection of military prints, and is worth the drive.

If you google navy or naval quilts many will come up. It might give you some ideas.

Go to the website BeautifulQuiltFabrics.com and you will find LOTS of military themed fabrics, including US Navy. They are a little pricey, but a great selection. As for patterns, any quilt pattern can be made with military theme fabrics. One I really like for a theme quilt is the BQ pattern, because it has large blocks for a focus fabric, and goes together REALLY quick and easy. Here is a photo of one I did with a travel/photography theme and the top was made in one day. I pieced the back with leftovers and other theme fabric too. Another idea is to google Quilts of Valor for pattern ideas with a military look.
    Name:  P1110717.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  82.7 KBName:  P1110719.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  76.0 KB

If you have Hobby Lobby in your area, they have military prints. Be sure to use the 40% coupon.

Also if it's for someone younger who's parent is in the navy sail boats and captains wheels done in blues and whites gives you a navy feel.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

There was one a few episodes back on the Fons and Porter quilting show: Here is the link: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...-quilt-project

It's not too hard a block once you break it down into pieces.

Fon's & Porter did a show on an older design quilt with the Navy anchor I thought was not too difficult. You can go their webpage and search it.
    Jeanie

I saw a cute one on Windham fabrics
    http://www.windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bi...?patternID=575
    Anchors aweigh
    From the heart
    Nancy

You can make any quilt pattern into a theme quilt by using naval fabric or even red, white and blue. Find a pattern you feel comfortable with making then go find the fabric that will make this quilt shine.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    My granddaughter is graduating from the Naval Academy in May and I going to make her a Mariner's Compass pattern Quilt. There is a folded 3D pattern (I bought it sometime ago a quilt show) that includes the acrylic wedge and insert tool. At first to seemed whelming, so I googled it and found a youtube video and it really looks very doable.

Storm at Sea is a good pattern also. Friend used tiny sailors in the pieces of the block and it was so cute!

Saw military fabric today at Walmart. JAF also has military fabric. Good luck in your search.

(I am the mom of a former Marine 1997-2007. Also a founder of Marine Moms Online)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    Go to the website BeautifulQuiltFabrics.com and you will find LOTS of military themed fabrics, including US Navy. They are a little pricey, but a great selection. As for patterns, any quilt pattern can be made with military theme fabrics. One I really like for a theme quilt is the BQ pattern, because it has large blocks for a focus fabric, and goes together REALLY quick and easy. Here is a photo of one I did with a travel/photography theme and the top was made in one day. I pieced the back with leftovers and other theme fabric too. Another idea is to google Quilts of Valor for pattern ideas with a military look.
    Name:  P1110717.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  82.7 KBName:  P1110719.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  76.0 KB
    I love your quilt pattern. Is it just called BQ?

Here is my nautical quilt for my niece's baby, her husband is in the coast guard. It is made from 3 shirts and a couple of yards of fabric.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  1.01 MB The quilting is anchors.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  1.55 MB

Dakota Rose, yes the name is BQ, it is by Maple Island Quilts. If you go to their website you will find the original BQ pattern as well as several other variations. I think the BQ stands for Big Quilt, but not positive!

My niece just had her baby and she wanted a nautical quilt, husband in coast guard. I just could not find anything I liked or wanted to do until I found these two shirts at a friends house and I added the striped shirt. I also bought fabric for the borders. Step out of your box and you might come up with an idea.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  1.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    Dakota Rose, yes the name is BQ, it is by Maple Island Quilts. If you go to their website you will find the original BQ pattern as well as several other variations. I think the BQ stands for Big Quilt, but not positive!
    Thanks. I think you are right about the BQ standing for Big Quilt.

Busy in Ohio