Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for recommendations for color books for quilting >

Looking for recommendations for color books for quilting

Looking for recommendations for color books for quilting

Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Looking for recommendations for color books for quilting

I'm a beginner and my I'd like to learn more about color. I searched some books on amazon but I didn't know if there were better places to look. I'm not ready to do anything complicated but as long as helps making color combinations. I have a color wheel and I feel its too generic.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

https://www.quiltingcompany.com/the-...ns-quiltmaker/
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/cla...quilters/35572
these are just a couple... i googled lessons in color for quilting
Old 01-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I don't have this book but it sure has some rave reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Artist-...heory+quilting
Old 01-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Have you searched youtube for "color theory lessons" or "combining colors in quilts" or something like that? I haven't, but there's probably a bunch of ideas there.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Anything by Joen Wolfrom (sp) is good by me, books or Craftsy. Any book on color theory for any of the visual arts will be useful—it’s no different for fabric than for yarn, paint, or anothing else.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:06 PM

What I do is save pics of quilts to Pinterest. I have one just for color combos that I like.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Joan Woefren (sp??) and get Jinny Beyers book on color--I tried to make her color wheel--whew--lots of work there--but what she tells you is so helpful.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:53 AM

Joan Wolfrom and Jinny Beyer are both colour masters.

For my money, Joan's books edge out Jinny's slightly for colour theory and ideas. But that's really about personal taste.

Both women have blogs, and Jinny's blog has some short video tutorials on colour. Youtube has a few of their videos as well.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:34 AM

You will have fun on your journey with color(s). For your next project, plan a visit to the LQS. Lay the bolts out on the table. You will get a feel if they play nice together. Ask the clerks or other quilters as they are usually happy to help with selection.

If you have fabrics in a stash, take them out and play also. With practice, you will select the fabrics on your own and make great color combinations.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM

For ideas about color, I thought this was an excellent book: Scrappy Duos, Color Recipes for Quilt Blocks, by Donna Lynn Thomas. She gives a few ideas about how to combine colors (calls them recipes), and there are lots of pictures to illustrate what she is talking about. She gives line drawings of quilt block patterns that you can color to get an idea of what you want to make. She also suggests photocopying the line drawings, enough blocks to lay out your whole quilt pattern idea, which is very helpful if you are a person who has trouble visualizing what something will look like after being sewn. She gives the block patterns, all for 12" blocks, and they are easy blocks to make if you are a beginner.