Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Quilts VS. New Quilts >

Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Old 12-31-2018, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Default Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Someone mentioned recently that she's started giving away quilts she's lost interest in. I am leaning in that direction, but am not sure if the people I give them to would like the idea of getting something made years ago. (The labels all say when I'd completed them.)

I want people to enjoy them, but I don't want them to feel as though I'm just cleaning out the sewing room, and giving them stuff that I don't care for. I did put a lot of work into each one.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM

I am having the same dilemma. I’m going to relabel them before they go.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

​I also would just relabel.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I put out my Christmas quilt with gingerbread men on it and i made it in 2004. feels like new to me! hardly used you see.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

If you don't want to relabel, I'd just explain that you've enjoyed it for [a while] and want the giftee to share in that enjoyment. Perhaps adding that if they have reached their enjoyment level, that they also pass it on to a quilt lover.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Relabel it the year given. Given to__________ in (year) __________ made by ____________

That's all you need.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:11 PM
e4

Please do NOT relabel your quilt. If you want to ADD to the label or add a label signifying the person you are giving it to, then please do so, but don’t lose the information on when it was actually made. As you gift it, just say I made this quilt and when I saw it the other day I thought of you. I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it. Then stop talking. If they care about you, it won’t matter to them that you made it 20 years ago.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:02 PM

How's this? "You know that I love making quilts, and I'm getting rather a lot of them waiting for a home. Why don't you come over and chose one of these for yourself? I can't think why I haven't done this sooner, because I'd really love for you to have one, if you'd like one, of course." That way you can filter out those who really don't want one, and are going to use it to work on the car, or some such heresy.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:33 AM

Back in 2015 I made a pair of oversized lap quilt for a set of twins. Never could find their grandmother after I finished them to send so I kept them stored in pillowcases.............just in case I found her. Anyway, had 2 pairs of new parents and decided to give these quilts to them......one each. I ripped off the label as it had the original baby's name and made a new label. These parents were very happy to get these quilts...............of course I didn't tell them the history behind them..........didn't think it was necessary. I'm just glad I found homes for these quilts.......

Also made quilts for my sister and mother before moving from Florida to Iowa to live near them. Once I got up here they claimed other quilts I had made so needed to find homes for the ones I originally made them. Folks that get these quilts were happy just the same. My mother has gotten her new one she picked out but my sister is still waiting for me to quilt her's.......................that will teach her to change her mind........not trying to be cruel to her just haven't found the time to get it quilted....................
Old 01-01-2019, 06:50 AM

I would be thrilled to get an older quilt. I would feel you cared enough to share a quilt you made and loved.