Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Quilts VS. New Quilts >

Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Old Quilts VS. New Quilts

Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for your comments. Some very interesting points have been made. I appreciate all of your thoughts. They are helping me make decision.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
How's this? "You know that I love making quilts, and I'm getting rather a lot of them waiting for a home. Why don't you come over and chose one of these for yourself? I can't think why I haven't done this sooner, because I'd really love for you to have one, if you'd like one, of course." That way you can filter out those who really don't want one, and are going to use it to work on the car, or some such heresy.

love that. It's so spot on!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Someone mentioned recently that she's started giving away quilts she's lost interest in. I am leaning in that direction, but am not sure if the people I give them to would like the idea of getting something made years ago. (The labels all say when I'd completed them.)

I want people to enjoy them, but I don't want them to feel as though I'm just cleaning out the sewing room, and giving them stuff that I don't care for. I did put a lot of work into each one.
Why not invite possible "giftees" to coffee & cake, and let them each pick a quilt they like. If anything is leftover, then look for places that could use warm quilts.

DO not relabel.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:51 AM
CR

If someone wanted to give me a guilt I wouldn't care what the label said. I think the older it was the more it would mean because you thought enough of me to give me something that had meant something to you so that would make it more special. Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
How's this? "You know that I love making quilts, and I'm getting rather a lot of them waiting for a home. Why don't you come over and chose one of these for yourself? I can't think why I haven't done this sooner, because I'd really love for you to have one, if you'd like one, of course." That way you can filter out those who really don't want one, and are going to use it to work on the car, or some such heresy.
I think that's a great idea!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM

I had an old quilt on the back of a couch and a guest took such a shine to it, I sent it home with her. Maybe if you display your old quilts and invite your friends over, you can send them home with new owners.

My labels aren't dated but just read "Handmade with love" and my name. If any quilt outlives me and has experts wondering about when it was made, I guess they can look me up in the history books. I'd like to think my quilts are well used and loved to death.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I appreciate the advice about inviting friends over to pick them out. However, I would be embarrassed beyond words to have anyone see this place. Mostly, I am wanting to give some to my Sunday School Class. I am thinking of asking them what their favorite colors are and then laying quilts over the backs of their chairs as a surprise.

I am still working on what I want to say when I give them.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I appreciate the advice about inviting friends over to pick them out. However, I would be embarrassed beyond words to have anyone see this place. Mostly, I am wanting to give some to my Sunday School Class. I am thinking of asking them what their favorite colors are and then laying quilts over the backs of their chairs as a surprise.

I am still working on what I want to say when I give them.

oh, I really like that idea Boston .
Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 AM

I wouldn't relabel. The whole point in labeling is the 'time' YOU made it. I am one who would appreciate an older quilt. I like the idea of 'inviting' someone to choose a quilt. That way those who don't appreciate or like quilts, won't take one out of obligation. (Never will understand those people -wink wink) Those who do choose, know the value and the older the better, I say.... BTW, What time is Sunday School at your church? I suppose I could miss my regular class for one of these!-lol