Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for retreat

Looking for retreat

Some friends and I are looking for a retreat place in Southern Ohio. It would need to have room for 8 to 12 quilters. If you know of a place whether you've been there or not please let me know. Thanks
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I wonder if you local quilt shop would have some information on retreats near you.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

You've seen these? I don't know what is south or north where you are
    https://www.google.com/search?q=quil...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Check with hotels. we use a hotel in Canton, OH, for 3 days for 20 peopew and they are wonderful to work with. I think it's a Comfort Inn.

Suz
    When I lived in DC, I attended a retreat held at a small college in Maryland. We had use of the dorms, showers, dining hall and a meeting room. They even supplied bed and bath linens. I would think that other small colleges would be open to make a few bucks and to accommodate a small group.

You might try local event centers. Even our small town of 30,000 people has 2 event centers in town.
    You might also try Senior Citizens Centers. Sometimes they have a kitchen adjacent to the event room so you could provide snacks/sandwiches, etc. for your retreat.

This place showed up on a google search, but after reading through it, it seems like it is Northwest Ohio. Will put the link in though just in case it might be good enough for a road trip. The quilt retreat looks like it is in November, but they have other quilt related shows etc. https://saudervillage.org/

These are some great places it looks like! Thanks for sharing. I am going to share this with my guild.
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

There's a FABULOUS quilt shop just west of Millersburg, OH - Somewhere Sewing - (7500 bolts of fabric). They've just built a wonderful building to hold retreats and there are a couple of B&Bs nearby that are working with them to house "retreaters". Deb and Dennis are two of the nicest people. Dennis also does repairs. Here's a link to their website. You can call them for more info. There's also a Facebook page.
    http://www.somewheresewing.com

Millers Dry Goods in Charm, Ohio has sewing retreats, and there is also a place in Zoar, Ohio-though I can't remember the name of it.

The Cider Mill in Zoar, Ohio has sewing retreats.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=lisalovesquilting;7806995]Some friends and I are looking for a retreat place in Southern Ohio. It would need to have room for 8 to 12 quilters. If you know of a place whether you've been there or not please let me know. Thanks I know of a wonderful place but it is in Montana about 100 miles from Yellowstone I went to a retreat there once and it was great I liked it because we could work on our own projects and so many of them is either to take a class and or buy a kit and I just wanted to go to finish things

Have you checked out Camp Higher Ground in southeastern IN near West Harrison, IN. I go there every year for a retreat for another group and there is a group of quilters from near Cincinnati there while we are there We always go check them out when we have a break. I just heard recently that a shop from near Liberty, IN goes here for retreats. I is a lovely place with good accommodations juts like a motel. And the food is out of this world delicious.
    Alice the quilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anniep View Post
    Millers Dry Goods in Charm, Ohio has sewing retreats, and there is also a place in Zoar, Ohio-though I can't remember the name of it.
    I am interested in what people say about retreats and where they are I did go to one in Bennington Kansas once and was wonderful but that is about as far as I want to travel from Wyo. but I do like retreats where we can sew our own projects. I know the ones with classes are good to but I have plenty of unfinished projects so don't want to start a new one

I go to this quilt camp, http://www.pegspatches.com/TQC_home.html

My mom used to attend this quilt camp, it started in the late 80s. It is relatively inexpensive because you can stay in a dorm type cabin with several women. The nights can go as low as about 16.00. You can eat in your cabin or eat in the dining hall. The camp runs Sunday afternoon through Friday morning.

I love this camp, but it works best if you know who you are going with This year I am not sure I am going. Some of the people that I stay with aren't going.

I am looking for something similar. We have really great teachers at this camp.

Cedar Lakes is the camp where it takes place. You can rent it for your own groups.

http://www.agriculture.wv.gov/divisi...s/default.aspx

The camp has actual classrooms. They supply ironing boards, tables and chairs. There is wifi throughout the camp now. There is a dining hall.