Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for scrappy ideas

Here is a great block for scraps - with free instructions

http://quiltinggallery.com/2012/06/2...rappy-project/

Another pattern for small and bigger blocks is Barn Dance. It is a free pattern - the pdf is at the bottom of the page. Here is the link: https://justquiltin.wordpress.com/ab...arn-dance-qal/

I love Arkansas Crossroads! I make it with leftover binding. Since I only cut my binding at 2 1/4” my blocks are a little smaller usually the pieces are 2 1/2”. You’ll find many patterns to choose from.
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    Do you or a friend use dryer sheets? Instead of throwing those away, use them as the foundation for string quilts. Use the ones that are no longer scented or usable for softening. Also, a person can use phone book pages but, of course, that probably needs to be removed. I suppose the paper might "wash out" in time but I would think it best to remove.
    That's a good idea, time to start saving those

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Arkansas Crossroads is one of my favorites too. Here is a great tutorial. http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html

Attachment 606572
    Arkansas crossroads looks fun, so many great idea!

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
    Here is a great block for scraps - with free instructions

http://quiltinggallery.com/2012/06/2...rappy-project/
    This one is great!

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
    Another pattern for small and bigger blocks is Barn Dance. It is a free pattern - the pdf is at the bottom of the page. Here is the link: https://justquiltin.wordpress.com/ab...arn-dance-qal/
    That one looks tough, haha but very cool! Thanks!

I have had this link saved for years, I did check on three of the patterns and they are still available, so hope they all are. https://carterquilter.wordpress.com/scrap-quilts/

I agree with looking at Bonnie Hunter's website. Tons of good ideas and free patterns!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Regular copy paper or notebook paper work for foundation. I make a master square whatever size block I want (usually 7-9 inches) ans draw the lines either diagonally or vertically, depending on pattern. Use black ink or sharpie to make easily visible lines. Then print a bunch of copies, saving the master. String blocks don’t require precise cutting with this method so it saves work and thought.

If you do this, make one copy first and then sew a test block to make sure you like your spacing. And use a short stitch length like 1.8 to make tearing paper off easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I got past the What?? page when I realized for me, scrappy was color, not pattern. Any pattern you like Just imagine each color as the whole spectrum from your stash.
    It would be interesting to take a quilt you've already made, and like, and remake it in scraps?

I'm working at precutting down my stash as I won't be able to do that with precision before long...kind of like canning my stash
    Here is an example of my storage, and any Bonnie Hunter quilt is an example of the result.
    Canning your stash. I like that idea. I am using my fabric cutter more.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Regular copy paper or notebook paper work for foundation. I make a master square whatever size block I want (usually 7-9 inches) ans draw the lines either diagonally or vertically, depending on pattern. Use black ink or sharpie to make easily visible lines. Then print a bunch of copies, saving the master. String blocks don’t require precise cutting with this method so it saves work and thought.

If you do this, make one copy first and then sew a test block to make sure you like your spacing. And use a short stitch length like 1.8 to make tearing paper off easier.
    I would love to see pictures of this and quilts you made this way.
    Anna Quilts

My favorite scrappy quilts are made with string blocks. I put a white strip in the middle and I use a regular size paper towel for my foundation (about 11.4" square) and cut that down to 10". Bonnie Hunter makes her blocks smaller, but I like the bigger blocks. I've made four of these quilts. I kept two, sold one to my brother, and gave one to my daughter. I still have two big storage boxes of strings to use up. I don't even bother to sort my colors or my sizes, I just reach in and pull strips out to sew up.

This is what I did with scraps and some fat qtrs I bought and some left over fabric.Name:  IMG_3783.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  774.9 KB
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    There are so many patterns that lend themselves well to scrappy quilts. Here are a few of mine.

Boxed Squares
    Tradewinds (or something similar)

or you could make up your own as I did with
    "Pipe Dream"

May I ask, is your Pipe Dream quilt a series of 9 patch blocks? I love this quilt! And am trying to figure out how you did it. I can identify some blocks but not all. It's fascinating.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I got past the What?? page when I realized for me, scrappy was color, not pattern. Any pattern you like Just imagine each color as the whole spectrum from your stash.
    It would be interesting to take a quilt you've already made, and like, and remake it in scraps?

I'm working at precutting down my stash as I won't be able to do that with precision before long...kind of like canning my stash
    Here is an example of my storage, and any Bonnie Hunter quilt is an example of the result.
    Ok YOU are way to organized.. Love your method though and I too am a Bonnie Fan.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    How about Eleanor Burns “Jewel Box Quilt”?
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Triple Irish Chain is very pretty scrappy.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've got a bunch of small cuts of fabric anywhere from 2.5" to 1/2 yard and all sizes in between. I'm looking for a good pattern that lends itself to scraps. I was thinking possibly a log cabin. That is honestly my only idea haha. Any thoughts or scrappy quilts to share with me? Thanks Joe
    Check out TheQuiltedTwins.com Becky Peterson has a huge array of free scrap quilt patterns on there. She does the upcycle thing too like Bonnie Hunter.Has her own fabric sale site as well. I buy ALOT OF FABRIC from her site.
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

I am following along with a scrappy quilt-a-long. Try going to https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.c...a-new-project/

Deanna does beautiful work and patterns are free. Most are scrappy patterns. I am presently cutting for several of these quilt patterns. She is so helpful also if you have any questions.

Name:  Gwynnes scrap quilt.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  1.78 MB
    This is my scrap quilt. It uses scraps that are 2 1/2 in squares, 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 inch strips and 2 1/2 in x 6 1/2 inch strips.
    If you're interested please PM me and I can send more complete instructions.( this offer is for anyone interested)
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

We have a great thread here on the QB that has been ongoing for years. It's for scrappy quilts! It's over 100 pages long, so make some coffee. I scroll through it just to look at pictures every once in a while. You'll find tons of inspiration there.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...e-t135936.html
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    Do you or a friend use dryer sheets? Instead of throwing those away, use them as the foundation for string quilts. Use the ones that are no longer scented or usable for softening. Also, a person can use phone book pages but, of course, that probably needs to be removed. I suppose the paper might "wash out" in time but I would think it best to remove.
    I've started doing the used fabric sheets for my string blocks. Seems to be working well, so far.
    To quilt or not to quilt...now what was the question?

Blog Entries
    Any string quilt is good for scraps. Some of my favorites, Spiderweb, french braid, postage stamp, path through the woods, instead of a regular log cabin try a curved log cabin for a different look. I just made a shimmer quilt using scraps. Almost any pattern can be scrapped up. Have fun.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Great ideas on this post. Thanks to all who shared.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2