Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for scrappy ideas

Joe

Looking for scrappy ideas

I've got a bunch of small cuts of fabric anywhere from 2.5" to 1/2 yard and all sizes in between. I'm looking for a good pattern that lends itself to scraps. I was thinking possibly a log cabin. That is honestly my only idea haha. Any thoughts or scrappy quilts to share with me? Thanks Joe

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter is totally scrappy. Here are a lot of her free patterns http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

there is a scrappy thread in the Challenge subforum - come join the fun!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I got past the What?? page when I realized for me, scrappy was color, not pattern. Any pattern you like Just imagine each color as the whole spectrum from your stash.
    It would be interesting to take a quilt you've already made, and like, and remake it in scraps?

I'm working at precutting down my stash as I won't be able to do that with precision before long...kind of like canning my stash
    Here is an example of my storage, and any Bonnie Hunter quilt is an example of the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like Chinese Coins. A strip of a thin old sheet as a base will keep it stabilized.

There are so many patterns that lend themselves well to scrappy quilts. Here are a few of mine.

Boxed Squares
    Tradewinds (or something similar)

or you could make up your own as I did with
    "Pipe Dream"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Bonnie Hunter is totally scrappy. Here are a lot of her free patterns http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html
    Thanks those are awesome!

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    there is a scrappy thread in the Challenge subforum - come join the fun!
    Thanks, I'll look for it!

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I got past the What?? page when I realized for me, scrappy was color, not pattern. Any pattern you like Just imagine each color as the whole spectrum from your stash.
    It would be interesting to take a quilt you've already made, and like, and remake it in scraps?

I'm working at precutting down my stash as I won't be able to do that with precision before long...kind of like canning my stash
    Here is an example of my storage, and any Bonnie Hunter quilt is an example of the result.
    Good idea with the pre-cutting, my scap box is messy lol

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I like Chinese Coins. A strip of a thin old sheet as a base will keep it stabilized.
    I'll look up Chinese coins!

Joe
    @boston1954 those are beautiful thanks for sharing!

How about a string quilt?

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    How about a string quilt?
    I have seen those and they are awesome, im trying to avoid buying any interfacing or anything just working with what I have on hand.

You could try Pinterest and just type in "scrappy quilts" and there will be a place to see the images of tons of scrappy quilts. KalamaQuilts--love your organization and like how you have all of the colors separated.

There is a site called Quilted Twins that shares dozens of great patterns for scraps. You'll love it!

https://www.quiltedtwins.com/free-patterns-layout-2 scroll down to the patterns and click on a picture to open the pattern. This site is wonderful!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    The QB member Tartan posted a wonderful scrappy today if you want to look at it. Looks the me like it is the chisel pattern piece repeated but I could be wrong. Really different and striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I have seen those and they are awesome, im trying to avoid buying any interfacing or anything just working with what I have on hand.
    Joe, you could use the pages of a phone book for the foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post

or you could make up your own as I did with
    "Pipe Dream"
    Fantastic! Lovely! Well done!
    What did you imagine the pipe coming out of? The blue in the lower right corner? Is it a toilet lid, or what? :-)

Boston all of your quilts are gorgeous. You used such gorgeous fabrics.

Joe, you could make 9 patch or four patch, the sky is the limit. I have made some string type quilts as QAYG. Very pretty.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have a scrappy Arkansas Crossroads in the works as my leaders/enders right now. Dozens of 2 1/2" squares and a background fabric. There is a quilt gallery in the pictures section - you can look up just scrappy quilts. If your scraps are 5" square, you can use many patterns written for charm packs by cutting your own. MSQC has several like Falling Charms.

Here's one of my favorites - out of The Big Book of Scrap Quilts:Name:  scrappy logs.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  169.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I have a scrappy Arkansas Crossroads in the works as my leaders/enders right now. Dozens of 2 1/2" squares and a background fabric.
    Arkansas Crossroads is one of my favorites too. Here is a great tutorial. http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html

Name:  1644BF12-A6CC-4EE6-9C0B-9A7FE16FB39C.jpeg
Views: 1255
Size:  109.9 KB
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Do you or a friend use dryer sheets? Instead of throwing those away, use them as the foundation for string quilts. Use the ones that are no longer scented or usable for softening. Also, a person can use phone book pages but, of course, that probably needs to be removed. I suppose the paper might "wash out" in time but I would think it best to remove.

Sometimes I just want to sew, sew - so I just sew squares together. To gussy it up, I may then attach appliqué pieces to the top. Very relaxing and don't have to think much.

Trailmix uses 1.5" & 2" & 2.5" and I think 3.5"block if I remember correctly. It is a free pattern on Allpeople Quilt. Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...ilts/trail-mix
    Show pictures when you have decided on a pattern and what you did with your scraps....we can all use ideas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast