Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for some "how-to" help. >

Looking for some "how-to" help.

Looking for some "how-to" help.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 PM
CalGal

How do you find your website. I went to the address given and did not u nderstand what to do to find your pictures. I am a novice at the computer. Thanks. Grammy

Old 11-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Zoe

Hi, I hope you don't mind my sending this to you. When you read the lady's message, you will note a link appear that should be in a different color. That is your link and you double click on it--in this case it's http://www.genealogy.jowestcorp.com. That should bring you to the web site. Whenever you see a hyperlink, it will appear as blue. I hope this helps. :-)
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Welcome to the board CalGal!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM

I am so sorry for the lost of your mom. Mine passed to the great quilt shop in the sky in 1996. I didn't take up quilting until 2003. I miss her advice. She completed her first quilt in 1932 at the age of sixteen. She quilted all her life except for when my sister and I were growing up. She sewed us our clothes during those years. After we left home she made quilts for herself, and mostly charity.

Please cherish those quilts. Yes, use them. Make sure her grandchildren will have them after you are gone. But only for the ones who will appreciate the value of these treasures.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 AM

WOW! I absolutely LOVE the tie quilt! How imaginative. I just might have to copy that idea someday...and when I do, I will think of a talented and loving woman I never even met! Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I agree with washing in cold on gentle and tumbling dry.. That's how I've always cleaned my cotton quilts. I use Dreft soap for this. The only caution I would give on having the tie quilt cleaned is be sure to take it to a cleaners you know. I have heard of such items disappearing. Is it really soiled or does it just need freshening? There are products to use in the dryer to "dryclean" items yourself.
This is what I was thinking, too. IS the tie quilt really dirty or do you just want to freshen it up? If it isn't soiled, I would just air it out (not in the sunlight) and let is blow in the breeze for a while.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

You have not mentioned whether they are dirty, or just smell musty..... If possible try airing them out first... I would hate for you to put them into a washer and have holes in the seams appear...
It has been suggested to put them in a top loader and let it fill up with water, agitate by hand, drain and spin and agitate by hand in the rinse water. Wet quilts weigh a lot and manipulating them too much strains the seams.... I would also use a soap made for quilts and remove it from the washer immediately and lay it on a sheet to dry or partially dry in a dryer first.
Storing them folded is not a great idea, roll them and use a lot of acid free tissue paper in the folds/creases. It is recommended to open them up and refold in a different manner every few months.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
CalGal

Hi and thank you for your help. I clicked on the link and there they were. What beautiful work a true pleasure to see. I am also a fairly new quilter and I truly enjoy looking at all the beautiful work done by all. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Grammy

Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Tippy
I agree with washing in cold on gentle and tumbling dry.. That's how I've always cleaned my cotton quilts. I use Dreft soap for this. The only caution I would give on having the tie quilt cleaned is be sure to take it to a cleaners you know. I have heard of such items disappearing. Is it really soiled or does it just need freshening? There are products to use in the dryer to "dryclean" items yourself.
This is what I was thinking, too. IS the tie quilt really dirty or do you just want to freshen it up? If it isn't soiled, I would just air it out (not in the sunlight) and let is blow in the breeze for a while.
The ties were hanging on a wall. The remaining quilts were folded and draped over wooden display stands. Well, Mom's dog always managed to brush against the quilts. The bottom 12 to 18 inches of each one is slightly soiled. If I spread them out I can see the difference in coloration. Since my last post, I have run the tie piece through my dyer using "DryEl". It improved the appearance somewhat, but not as clean as I would like. I think I'm stuck with taking it to a commercial dry clean place. I hope there is a way that they can "gently" clean it. As far as the other pieces go, I think I might try a good soak in Woolite with some hand agitation and then a partial dry in the dryer and then hanging them up to dry completely. Anyone see any problems with any of this? As usual, all suggestions are very welcome.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of you beloved mother. I am happy she left you some lovely quilts. I looked at her picture and her work...BOTH BEAUTIFUL!! I am sure you treasure your memories of her making them and every one was stitched with love.

Wash them carefully and USE them....I am sure she would want you to :).

Margie