Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for suggestions - sewing room closet >

Looking for suggestions - sewing room closet

Looking for suggestions - sewing room closet

Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM

DH has finally reached the last room of our house restoration which will be guest room/sewing room. It is the only room in the house with an original closet 34"x34" & because the room is small will be major fabric/etc. storage area.

I'm thinking shelves would be the best use of space? would you put them floor to ceiling? depth? Or do you have another unique idea?
Pictures would be helpful if your closet serves you well.
thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 03:38 PM

I would do shelves floor to ceiling. but that is just me and I would do them adjustable. it makes more since to me because as your needs change they can.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Yes, floor to ceiling shelves! And no doors.
I like the idea of adjustable shelves too!!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Is he putting in wood shelves or those new nifty metal adjustable shelves? If he is thinking of the metal ones, I would do mostly shelves, perhaps a few bins, and maybe a half rod for hanging projects. I really like being able to hang tops and small finished projects on the clippy hangers on a rod. Perhaps a mounted fold-up ironing board is another idea. Sit down with a paper and pencil and go over what you need for the room and see what fits.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

The shelves would be awfully deep, and difficult to see what is in the back.

Maybe make two sets of shelves on rollers. The shelves would face each other and roll out independently? They would be narrower, but have better visibility.

I have also seen shelves on a hinge. The back set of shelves are affixed in place (built in).
The front set has a hinge on one side so it swings out to reveal the back set :D:D:D
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM

The IKEA Antonius system is on wheels, if you want. Depth is 21" - width is 17 1/2 " - height is 30" with wheels/27 1/2 " without wheels. They stack really well too.

You could have shelves in the back of the closet and on one side and the Antonius in front of the shorter shelves. Since the Antonius does roll, you can move it out to get back at the back.

You might even want a tall area without shelving if you want to store your ironing board or a big board that fits on your ironing board or a hanging area.

Do you want some sort of a counter in there?

Otherwise, I'd vote for shelves that pull out so you can see and get at what is in back.

More questions than answers at this point.

ali
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM

I have clear plastic drawer sets stacked in my closet. I put wheels on the bottom ones and no wheels on the upper ones so I could stack them. I put them in the closet at both ends with the drawers facing the center of the closet. I have plenty of room to step into the closet to get what I need. That leaves room on the shelf for storing large items like bags of batting and on the floor for another set of drawers on wheels or I can store my ironing board in the back of the closet in the center. I use the shelf brackets to hang things on and I put Command hangers on the back wall of the closet for extra hanging space for small items I am currently working on. On top of the larger stacked drawers, I have smaller sets that I use for threads, tools patterns, etc. I have plenty of space for everything and this storage method keeps my sewing room clear for my sewing and cutting tables and ironing board when it is set up.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM

I'm thinking of doing the same as my sewingroom doubles as guestroom when kids come home. I'm thinking of shelves 2/3 way and leaving bottom open for small dresser for patterns, misc items or bins. My back can't tolerate a lot of bending so shelves at bottom not an option for me. Would love to see what u come up with so I can copy ! Lol
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the input - I now envision adjustable shelves or pull out shelves & like the idea of a half rod for hanging WIP. Because the closet is so small I was thinking of a pegboard on inside of door to hang tools, etc.

Susan - why do you suggest no door?