Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for suggestions >

Looking for suggestions

Looking for suggestions

Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 PM

I am definitely going to be looking into trying to see if there are any quilting guilds or groups in my area that meet at a time I can join I no longer drive, so hubby carts me around everywhere lol, and he works an over night shift so our schedule is all topsy turvey to everyone else! And I let hubby know that instead of books or Tigger stuff, I want fabric for my anniversary present lol. We will be celebrating our 11th year together on the 14th of July
Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 PM

What the smallest size you are interested in? I save 1 1/2" squares, but I will Never make a postage stamp quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-05-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I think 1 1/2 inch would be the smallest I would go, even on a crazy quilt. My eyes would be crossed after a few minutes otherwise! I've seen the postage stamp quilts and yeah....I just don't think I could do those.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:31 PM

You could also use a mattress pad from a thrift store for batting. I could also send you a small box if you would PM an address.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 PM

I just went to a yard sale on Saturday. There were no prices marked so I chose a small pile (about 2" tall) of fabric. The husband charged me $2.00. I went back for more and the wife charged about $!.00 a yard. There are a lot of older baby boomers so longer able to sew or no longer with us and I think a lot more of them sewed because of the culture of their time. I would also agree with not trying to build a stash too quickly. I no longer shop at the fabric store and I have only been quilting for 2 years. There is so much lovely fabric easily available if you have a little patience. One group of ladies I quilt with used to give their scrap to one member but when she found I was willing to work with smaller pieces she gave me several bags full. I have also picked us several rulers at yard sales, tape measure, needles in original packages, etc, etc,...
Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 PM

*nods* I plan on trying to hit some yard sales this summer for sure. And I have lots and lots of needles of various sizes because I do hand embroidery as well. I want to try and get at least two quilts done and finished before christmas. 1 for my daughter ( I found the CUTEST sloth applique, and my sweet daughter is gaga for slots) and one for the daughter I had when I was a surrogate mom 16 years ago, who has recently shown interest in connecting with me. (The couple I worked with has stayed in contact with me and kept me updated on her, and last year had the sit down talk with her to tell her about me and give her the choice to connect if she wished it) Even if its just cuddle/lap quilts, I want to give them both something that they can have and pass down to their children someday, ya know?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 PM

Welcome to QB! I hope you will soon have a lot of nice fabrics to work with. One resource I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is the Quilting Board's own items for sale or trade list: www.quiltingboard.com/items-sale-trade-f20/
Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 PM

Yep! I have been keeping an eye on those areas as well
Old 05-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Check out half price days on scrubs! They are usually made of good quality cotton and the tops often come in cute prints. The larger the size you can get the better! For solid colors, get the pants!
I've made lots of I Spy and other kids quilts using scrubs.

Also, bedskirts. Be sure to check the fabric content as many are poly, but you can find some like new in pretty cotton fabrics.. Bonus, the thin fabric of the bedskirt top can be used for foundation fabric in string quiltings.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Hope you have invested in a mat, rotary cutter and a good ruler...that will take you a long way in your journey too! Library or on youtube for how tos........welcome to our world!