Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at a used APQS Longarm Quilting Machine >

Looking at a used APQS Longarm Quilting Machine

Looking at a used APQS Longarm Quilting Machine

Old 04-04-2015, 11:34 AM

Default Looking at a used APQS Longarm Quilting Machine

Need some advice like should I consider getting this setup or just forget about it. It's a 1990's APQS Ultimate II 36 inch with a wood table. There is no stitch regulator, but does have a stitch speed dial. It has been totally refurbished and will come with a one year warranty. Will come with a 12 foot table. I have the room for it, but was wondering if the machine is a good one and seeing that it is older and should it need repair or parts would that be an issue. The price is below $6,000 and I could make an offer to get it for a better price. I certainly can not afford much more for a longarm system. What are your honest opinions please? Thank you.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

You might want to join the homequiltingsystems group at groups.yahoo.com and ask there. Someone may have that actual setup, or at least there will be some users with APQS experience. Since it is not affiliated with APQS in any way, the comments should be honest.

To me, it sounds like a reasonable deal -- especially with the one year warranty. My Voyager 17 with Hinterberg frame, no stitch regulator, cost about $3000 (some have gotten this one for as little as $2000). However, mine is a 17" machine whereas the one you are talking about has 36" of space under the arm.

Just offhand, I would suggest making an offer of $5,000 and ask that someone set up the system for you *and* give you at least 2 hours of one-on-one help and instruction on getting started. This type of machine was made to last, so I don't think there will be any major problems about getting service for it or parts; however, I don't know that for sure.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Thank you for your input Prism99, I have requested to join the yahoo group for more info on this setup.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:28 PM
JT

Please check out the APQS website, and look on the forum along the top of the screen. There are great resources here. I bought a used machine last fall. I have been very pleased in working with APQS when I had questions and needed help. They are a great company based in Iowa (which is where I live). If you have any questions, pm me.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:39 PM

I have had an APQS L/A for 15+ yrs???bought it used from private party. After I purchased I called company and informed them I was the new owner - she had it for 5 yrs.....I have had no trouble with the machine...I regularly clean it, oil, and about every 4 yrs I take a weekend and take it in for a spa day...with appointment made ahead of time. She gets a complete work over and I wander around the delightful town for a day. The company is great to work with, I do not regret my purchase...it is still as good as it was new, although I don't have many of the bells and whistles, but it gives me a great stitch every time and that's what's important to me. Have you any experience with a longarm? When I purchased mine, I made arrangements to have a full day of instruction from a person in Iowa who was offering this service...it it what I recommend to anyone who is thinking of making this purchase.....check with APQS to see if they offer anything. My daylong study was with Dawn Cavanaugh, who is now an employee with the company.....
Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 PM

When I was looking at longarms and testing them, twice I tried an APQS machine which did not stop stitching when I stopped it. Both the machines took an extra stitch or two after I "stopped" it, and I found that frustrating, so I crossed that brand off my list. Since then I have seen APQS machines without that problem, so I'm not sure what that was all about. Just something to watch for, I guess. Test drive it, ask lots of questions (preferably which you already know the answer to) make sure the machine has been well oiled, especially the motor and bobbin areas. In a used machine, you want one which has had great maintenance, and preferably lighter use. Just mho.