Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
At a loss.. >

At a loss..

At a loss..

Old 12-27-2011, 07:07 PM

OK. I must be the weird one here. I actually think that this could be an absolutely darling quilt. Especially since you are saving your daughter's friend and every baby brings her own luck and joy. Go with the fun idea of creating something special for the intended recipient--the adult/soon-to-be parents, the darling new one joining her parents, and your daughter. I could see the quilt done in a single Irish chain, with the orange used as an accent. Or the orange as the center of a log cabin and the camo done a la one-point-wonder=ish, if you know what I mean. If you do the log cabin, only add two or three rounds of logs. And who says the logs must be less then 2 or 2-1/2 inches, meaning less blocks, faster quilt.

Good luck and enjoy this one

Laurie
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 AM

I taught my neighbor how to do rag quilts. She bought 10 yds of Pink R.T. camo to make the baby, toddler and 5 yr old rag quilts. When she showed me the fabric I thought YIPES! The quilts finished up soft and everyone loved them. She used the same fabric on both sides with W&N. If they are hunters they will love your quilt, and I would not use pink in their quilt. Looking forward to photo's of the finished quilt.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 AM

I wouldn't do a rag quilt for a baby. They chew on them and pull on any string they can find. Man, what they can do with those tiny fingers!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Maybe a nine patch with the camo and a white/ or off white and then alternate with large orange blocks? That link to the applique was amazing.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I didn't find it on the Realtree site either, but they say that they don't do the manufacturing, and they license others to do that. I found several references on other sites of garments made in the other fabrics, but none of them selling it. I did find one instance where someone said that they found the Realtree camo at Jo-Ann's! But I didn't find it on the joann.com site. Maybe you could call Realtree and ask them where to find the camo in other fabrics? I wish I could be more help.
Yes, I found a limited amount at Joann's the other day and they had a couple of other plain fabrics with it, but they wanted $14.95 a yard for it and the web page only wants $9.95, but I guess with shipping, it all works out the same price.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
i have a no ugly clause in my quilt making...so i won't do t-shirt quits, i won't do rag quilts, i won't do camo (i did do these when my boys were young...but even they have better taste than that now,). I just won't work on things i dislike...i've got more quilts designed than i will ever have time to do ... if your daughter wants the quilt so bad, define the word 'volunteer' for her and loan her a sewing machine. I know there are many people who like these quilts and I am happy they can make them for themselves, but it's not gonna be me.
I am so sorry to hear that you are so set in your ways as to turn down a request because it is something that 'you don't like to do'.

I would so love to loan my daughter one of my machines! You see, she is in the NAVY and is stationed in Cuba at Guantanamo Bay and has been for the last 18 months. I would do anything to see her and help her make it herself, but since I can't, I will make it for her even if the request is for an Ugly Quilt.

It is hard to explain unless you have a son or daughter in the service, but its like she is locked away from us, I can talk to her via Facebook but can't call her and the calls that I do get from her are precious, so turning down a request is impossible for me to do. If she lived in my house, next door, in the next town or even in the states, I wouldn't turn her down! Just a mom's love I guess

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Here's some cotton flannel on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALTREE-ADV...item3f11909052

hmmmm... doesn't look like regular quilting flannel...
Went and looked at the link, it may be flannel, but it is a heavy flannel. The price is right, but if you look at the description, it says to cover car seats.. yikes, that is almost as bad as the twill. Thanks for looking for me!
Susan

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
Went and looked at the link, it may be flannel, but it is a heavy flannel. The price is right, but if you look at the description, it says to cover car seats.. yikes, that is almost as bad as the twill. Thanks for looking for me!
Susan
This looks like the same stuff that I made curtains for a friend for. The material I used was like denim. It was easy to work with though. I havent' seen the real tree in quilting cotton before. I live in the northwoods of Wisonsin and seriously, I have never seen so much camo in my entire life!!! I've had people ask me to make camo purses too. Some people are really into camo.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM

YES to a mother's love!!!!! it's amazing what we will do for our children. i have heard some tales and seen some things. i am sure you will create something special and the receipients will love it (minus the pink) and your daughter will feel so proud. that's all a win-win in my eyes.

welcome to the board!

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
....I would so love to loan my daughter one of my machines! You see, she is in the NAVY and is stationed in Cuba at Guantanamo Bay and has been for the last 18 months. I would do anything to see her and help her make it herself, but since I can't, I will make it for her even if the request is for an Ugly Quilt. It is hard to explain unless you have a son or daughter in the service, but its like she is locked away from us, I can talk to her via Facebook but can't call her and the calls that I do get from her are precious, so turning down a request is impossible for me to do. If she lived in my house, next door, in the next town or even in the states, I wouldn't turn her down! Just a mom's love I guess
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM

I know what you mean when you sat you can't say "no" when your daughter makes special requests. I am the same way. It would appear this fabric is going to be very sturdy and will last for years of playing. I would more than likely do a solid piece and then let the quilting do the rest. It is amazing how the binding finishes the quilt. A sturdy quilt that can go anywhere is better than that "pretty" quilt people try to save.

Have fun with it - and know how proud your daughter will be that her mother came through, as usual.