Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: lost my finger tip

Blog Entries
    foot mishaps is one reason i use a cutter that closes when i let go of the handle.
    also been there, cut my thumb and nail. bled for 5 hours. no stitches though. just time to heal.
    you will be much more careful from now on, let me tell you.

Oh you poor thing. Heal quickly!

Blog Entries
    Last fall I cut my left index finger off with my rotary cutter. I cut it from the first knuckle into my fingernail clear down to the tip of my finger. Once I got the bleeding stopped, I super glued the piece back on and put a bandaid on it. It didn't adhere, but it sort of protected my finger until it healed.
    Believe it or not it grew back. I still hurt like the dickens.

Banned
    I did this back in December - cut it right off before I could stop myself...took a while to heal...neosoporine(sp?) helped it alot.

Now when I cut - my fingers are far from the edge and tucked under....haven't gotten the gloves yet!

Senior Member The Quiet Quilter's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about that. Hope it
    heals quickly. Prayers for a quick
    healing. Hugs, Sharon

Ouch!!! Hope it heals fast :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3plus2granny
    Well it finally happened to me. The old rotary cutter got me. I must have had me left hand to close to the rotary cutter. I was holding the ruler in place, and oops there it went. Gone is the side of the index finger tip. My DH doctored me. But, boy does it sting. Don't do this at home!!!!
    My Bff cut off the side tip of her left forefinger about a month ago. No stitiches but she has worn an ugly bandage for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I also cut the top of my foot when I dropped my cutter and sliced the h*** out of my foot. Could not stop it from bleeding, and still have a scar 6 months later. Those cutters cut deep.
    A couple of years ago, I misplaced my rotary cutter and went out to quickly replace it....turned out to be one of the spring-loaded safety kind where the blade is covered when you don't have a lot of pressure on it. It took some getting used to...but since I am invariably barefoot when sewing-----reading your story makes me sooo glad I have it!!!!

Soo sorry feel better soon.

Oh nO! Ouch!! Hope it heals quickly!

I sliced open my thumb badly on a mandolin (slicing vegetables) and swore I'd never use such a dangerous tool again LOL of course, rotary cutters don't fit in that category, right? Seriously, this is something we should all pay more attention to - these are extremely sharp blades we're using, and I know I don't always concentrate as much as I should when I'm cutting. Your message is a wake-up reminder. Hope you heal quickly, and glad it wasn't worse.

Double ouch!!!!! :|

Blog Entries
    To 3plus2granny and all of those who have gone before in the OPPS! section.

I sympathize and empathize and if you take aspirin; it bleeds for a long time.

The ER Dr. and Nurse and I were laughing so much he forgot to count the stitches. He said 4 stitches but my regular Dr. took out seven stitches.

After reading all these stories, I think I will get a glove.

I haven't cut my finger with the rotory cutter but I have cut the tips of my finger nails. The worst thing I ever did years ago was I slammed my pinky finger in my dish washer door and it almost cut the finger off completely.The bone joint was crushed and I can't bend the middle joint very well.

Blog Entries
    Need to be careful with those cutters ladies. So sorry for your mishap, been there, done that. Take care and hope you heal fast.

Blog Entries
    My daughter sliced her finger with a rotarty cutter and needed five stitches. I have a Klutze Glove to send to her.

poor quilter -- best wishes for a speedy recovery from a near-by quilter

Blog Entries
    I also did that. I went to the emgerency room and first they tried to glue it closed which would not work as the cut was to deep, ended up getting a number of stitches. Really hurt. My friends then gave me the glove that is supposed to protect your fingers from rotary cutters. I forget to use it.

Blog Entries
    I also did it. Middle or index of my my left hand one Sunday morn. Bled so bad I thought I'd have to go to ER but finally wrapped a bandaid around it really tight and then a few more on top. Finally it slowed but took awhile to stop. Should have gone to church!

Did that myself, last summer!!! OW OW OW!!! It grew back but still is numb! Hope you recover okay. And believe me, you'll be more careful in the future!!! :)

Can you believe I cut my arm??? Yup! I was leaning hard on my ruler to make sure it didn't shift and nipped my forearm -- OUCH!!! I've since learned not to push AGAINST the ruler when using the rotary cutter.

I cut my finger with the rotary cutter. Didn't feel it. I quickly grabbed a white cloth, and ran to the garage where my DH was. I didn't have to say anything, but his comment was don't bleed on my garage floor. LOL. He was going to take me to the ER, but I told him to just get out the steri-strips, and put them on tight. Healed beautifully, and I didn't bleed on his garage floor.

Reading about your accidents just makes me cringe! I to belong to the legions of the injured and like many of you it was my index finger on my left hand. I couldn't get it to stop bleeding so off to the ER we went, ever notice these things always happen at night? Well there was a "bleeder" involved so the had to cauterize it and stitch it shut. The funniest part was the nurse asked me Do you live in a safe home environment?" I looked at her and replied "Clearly not." So $800 later I was sent home to heal. As was noted: That could buy a lot of fabric and equipment. Stay safe everyone, it only takes a moment of inattention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3plus2granny
    Well it finally happened to me. The old rotary cutter got me. I must have had me left hand to close to the rotary cutter. I was holding the ruler in place, and oops there it went. Gone is the side of the index finger tip. My DH doctored me. But, boy does it sting. Don't do this at home!!!!
    You know I always thought the gloves to protect your fingers were a waste of money. Maybe not so much now that I've read all the posts.

So sorry this happened to you. I hope you didn't bleed on any fabric ;-)

I did the same thing. As I was cutting, I thought, gosh my finger is kinda in the way. Needless to say, I cut the tip off. I can feel your pain.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast