Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: lost my finger tip

Quote Originally Posted by 3plus2granny
    Well it finally happened to me. The old rotary cutter got me. I must have had me left hand to close to the rotary cutter. I was holding the ruler in place, and oops there it went. Gone is the side of the index finger tip. My DH doctored me. But, boy does it sting. Don't do this at home!!!!
    3plus2granny

I am so sorry to hear that! :thumbdown: Hugs to you.

Hope your finger is better soon!

TreeFrog

MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS DON'T READ THIS..... but when I sliced deeply into my left thumb, it wouldn't stop bleeding for what seemed like forever...until I wrapped it tightly with a couple of folded paper towels and then with several layers of duct tape, winding it down my thumb a good ways to seal it and keep any blood from leaking out. That let me finish cutting the project---which I was determined to do that day! It obviously did stop bleeding (actually pretty fast) and the pressure from the duct tape was great for it! I unwrapped it that night (happened about lunchtime) and put a bandaid on it---it was already holding itself back together. I treated it very gently for the next couple of days so it didn't pop back open and then it was fine....

Ouch! Been there too. Cut my thumb nail in half and cut into the nail bed. Lost the half nail of course. That was 4 months ago and the nail is finally grown. I even use a suction handle...but somehow as I was stretching to make the cut my hand with the rotary cutter jumped the ruler and sliced my thumb! I..am..very..careful..cutting..now. Take care and don't cut too quickly.

Ouch!

Ouch! I was gritting my teeth before I even looked at your post, hoping it was a rubber finger cot you lost and not the real thing. I hope it heals fast.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey
    MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS DON'T READ THIS..... but when I sliced deeply into my left thumb, it wouldn't stop bleeding for what seemed like forever...until I wrapped it tightly with a couple of folded paper towels and then with several layers of duct tape, winding it down my thumb a good ways to seal it and keep any blood from leaking out. That let me finish cutting the project---which I was determined to do that day! It obviously did stop bleeding (actually pretty fast) and the pressure from the duct tape was great for it! I unwrapped it that night (happened about lunchtime) and put a bandaid on it---it was already holding itself back together. I treated it very gently for the next couple of days so it didn't pop back open and then it was fine....
    OUCH, how is your thumb now? Mine hurts for you! lol

TreeFrog

I never thought to worry about my feet but now I will! My sister cut the side of her left forefinger off and two weeks later my best friend cut herself the very some way. Yikes!!!

omg so sorry to hear that hope is heals soon

Oh my goodness!! That sounds awful, knock on wood, I haven't had a mishap yet -- hope this doesn't interfer with your sewing too much - mend soon.

I hold my breathe every time I start with the cutter. Been
    blessed so far.

I bought a pair today. A day late and a finger short!

Thanks for the info. I had my daughter , the nurse rewrap it this morning. We used neosporin, and peroxide. So far no infection. And i am up to date on my Tetenus shot, thankfully. We'll change the bandage everyday.

Ladies I'm going out to buy a glove tomorrow !!! Prayers for quick healing and please don't do that anymore !!!

Power Poster
    Sorry to hear about your finger. But know what you are going through, didn't lose my finger tip but cut the side of the pointing finger in a U shape and it took a long to heal. Still have a scare.

Dee
    I am very sorry to hear about all the mishaps. I have the suction handles and fish filet mesh gloves. Get well soon.

Blog Entries
    Ouch! It happen to me also. The miracle is that your finger grows back .

Blog Entries
    I was wondering about that. I sliced my finger last week with the rotary cutter. Took off a pretty good chunk and was wondering if it would grow back or if I would have a flat-sided finger!!

Quote Originally Posted by Delbra
    Ouch! It happen to me also. The miracle is that your finger grows back .

Blog Entries
    So sorry. I hope it heals very fast. I guess that means we should all be very careful when useing the rotary cutters.

I, too, have been there, done that. Cutter jumped the ruler and just flat ran over (and cut off ) the tip of my index finger of my left hand, right handed. And, I'm alergic to neosporin. So, slow down and get better SOON.

Been there ,done that, not fun. My sympathy's to you

I am an easy bleeder - have been on coumadin for some time...so am super careful when handling sharps things...even pin pricks can cause a real problem for me.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    OUCH! Been there, done that. Hope it doesn't hold you back for long.

Just have to join this section with my own story. Cut off the side of my left index finger and part of the fingernail, about an 1-1/2 long with my rotary cutter, just last week...took the piece to ER and they stitched it back on, waiting to see how it all heals...doesn't look very good right now...and I was cutting paper and using the ruler, just went too fast...live and learn...reassuring to know I am not the only one, but it is a hard way to learn.

No pain any longer, but bandage is a nuisance...the human body is a working miracle the way it heals and mends itself.

Thanks all for sharing as now I don't feel soooo clumsy!!!

I did this too I now fold my pointer finger under so its out of the way and I still can hold the ruler in place. hope you heal soon I know your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    Keep the finger bandaged for several days without disturbing it. Fingertips will regenerate to some extent. I lopped a chunk off my middle finger, dangling by a thread. I taped it back tightly into place, and it healed back on, and the tissue under it regenerated as well, so now the finger is about 1/8" longer than it used to be. Extra power for flipping someone the bird now.
    Now, would you be calling that a Blessing?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast