Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost my Pfaff 1473 to Hurricane Sandy

Unhappy Lost my Pfaff 1473 to Hurricane Sandy

Love that machine, used it to sew everything, and of the things I lost in the flood of my first floor, that tops the list. Any stove will cook, any frig will cool, but my sewing machine??? I had just completed a Sunbrella replacement top for a 10X10 outdoor gazebo on my upstairs deck that held up so well in the storm that the structure it was tied to went before the top did!

That being said, I will need to replace it and need advice. Because I'm going to continue to sew canvas and sunbrella as well as quilts, I will need a machine that's as sturdy as the 1473, and will still offer the assortment of stiches that it did.

I've had it so long, just replaced the motherboard, thinking that I would have it forever, so....do I go to ebay and buy the same, is there another out there that will do what I need???? I have not kept up with the technology, again, thinking that this was my last machine.

It's not covered by flood insurance, I don't think, so I don't think I can go crazy on price, but I'd like to hear whatever suggestions anyone can come up with.

Thanks in advance.

I'm so sorry for the loss, our machines are our sanities and they should be covered. I wish I could get you one and give it to you so I am praying you find one you can almost replace it.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry to hear that Sandy took your fav machine. I would do some research to see if you can find a used one, maybe contacting some dealers so that you know the machines has been checked out. Will you be happy with another machine since this one was your "love"?

Good luck on your search!

thanks. It's so strange that of all of the "stuff", it was the first thing I thought of, and the one regret I had not to move it to higher ground when they forced the evacuation. Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks, I found a used one on ebay, but having just spend 400 to get the motherboard updated on the old one, I'm concerned that I'm just buying into needing that again, adding to the cost.

I guess I was hoping that someone would say "Hey, silly, don't you know that Brand X has the same great stuff you're used to, and it's only X dollars", or some such thing.

I am so sorry for your loss!
    The Pfaff 1473 looks like a great machine. I ditto the recommendation to look for a used one. (I sew on a Pfaff Expression 2.0, that doesn't seem to have the possibilities the 1473 has.)

So sorry for all you have been through. I hope you find what you want and that it's affordable.
    Annie

I love my new to me Creative Vision....5.5
    Not sure if it can handle the heavy cloth but does sew well and great embroidery.
    Kirsten
    "You have nothing to lose but wrinkles!"

http://www.nerium.com/join/mrskirsten

sorry for your loss of your machine, i hear to my dismay there are no 2 machines alike, even if they are alike.look on craigslist or goodwill. ebay shipping to high unless you find one nearbye..
    ​debra

Well, DTS, I'm not a great fan of the 'bay, but you could go there. If I were you though, I'd go to all the SM dealers and repair shops in the area and look at their inventory. They take machines in on trade-in, so someone may have the one you're looking for. I'd also watch Craigslist. Your local quilting guild might give you some leads too.

I'm so sorry Sandy stole your machine and wish you good luck in your search for a new one.
    Dorothy in PA

Blog Entries
    So sorry for your loss and dive station you have suffered. Why not try retail shops for a reconditioned one. I have many machines but not that one otherwise would send it to you. Keep the faith.. I find sometimes on eBay you get less than you wanted.
    Finished is better than a UFO

There are many machines that will take the heavier fabrics. I swear by my old mechanical Bernina 1030. Rcently sold my Bernina 180E but kept the 1030. It is truly a workhorse. The only thing I have ever heard of being replaced on the mechanical is the motor and that belonged to a sewer who made clothing for sale.

Blog Entries
    That being said, I will need to replace it and need advice. Because I'm going to continue to sew canvas and sunbrella as well as quilts, I will need a machine that's as sturdy as the 1473, and will still offer the assortment of stiches that it did.

I've had it so long, just replaced the motherboard, thinking that I would have it forever, so....do I go to ebay and buy the same, is there another out there that will do what I need???? I have not kept up with the technology, again, thinking that this was my last machine.

It's not covered by flood insurance, I don't think, so I don't think I can go crazy on price, but I'd like to hear whatever suggestions anyone can come up with.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you take the motherboard out of the old one and see if it is damaged. It may dry out and be ok then you can put it into a second hand machine. I know what you mean about this machine stitching anything as I have one, it is a workhorse it will stitch anything. I have repaired Judo mat canvas loads of times for different clubs.

Good luck with your search.

Jenny

Hello my fello long islander. Sandy was a nasty piece of work! I am sorry for what you are going through, I really am. Now, somebody suggested letting the motherboard dry and see what happens. Electronics and sea water do not mix well, but it is worth a shot.. My hubby is a techie whose workplace was completely flooded and they have to chuck everything. He thinks once dried, your motherboard may work for a short time.That being said, do not chuck your machine. He says to clean and dry all mechanical parts and give a good shot of oil to all parts that need it and can rust. Even if the machine does not work You can use other parts from it that are not electrical. Also, your machine should come under household items protected by the insurance. Fingers crossed. I have a cheapo Singer which sews anything it is one of those heavy duty mechanical machines. Good luck with everything, and I am so sorry for all you are going through.

My husband offered to look at the motherboard of your machine and clean it from all the salt if possible. He is a computer dude so motherboards are right up his alley. If this is something you would like to do please pm me for my address. He offers no guarantees, but says it worth a try.

I'm so sorry that you lost your machine (your friend!). I have no suggestions, but when I read your title I felt so sorry for you. I hope you can find just exactly what you need, and that when the next storm hits you carry her to the second floor!

Why wouldn't your machine be covered by flood insurance? Before making any decisions, check that out.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
    Why wouldn't your machine be covered by flood insurance? Before making any decisions, check that out.
    If you don't have a separate insurance policy, homowner insurance will not cover flood damage or earthquake damage.

If you want to try to save the motherboard and maybe the machine, you need to flush it with demineralized water to try to remove all contaminants from the flood water that was left when it dried out. The tiny particles are the culprit not the water, water will will evaporate and if pure nothing will be left behind to cause damage when in use. It's worth a try, you won't be out anything except the price of the water.
    Got fabric?

I have the 1471 and feel your pain. I love my machine and would be sooo sad. Here's what I'd do. First, I'd follow the advice from those above and don't throw it out! Have you taken it in to see if it can be saved? Or, at least save it for a parts machine. Second, why don't you place an ad on Craigs List saying your looking for that specific model and see what happens? I'd only buy on ebay if the seller says the machine is in working order. So, if it's not you can return it. Stay away from those that state 'as is' or 'I don't know how to sew'.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the mother board or components at all. Unless you're wearing anti-static gear, you can fry it in a second. Save that for a professional. Good luck!

Thank the Good Lord you are all right! I have a Pfaff, I bought it 55 yrs ago. I took it into a Bible quoting repairman. He held it for almost 18 mo. It was only there to be clean and checked for ware. I stopped once a mo. for almost a year. Then he ask me if I would sell it to him, as he had a friend that wanted the motor. I said no. Well then he said he broke a piece on my Pfaff and couldn`t fine a part for it as it was so old. Finally I took my husband with me and we had to threaten this Bible quoting man with getting a cop in. Long story short he wanted my Pfaff for his friend, but I wouldn`t give it to him. That said I think you will have a very hard time finding one. I would look for one that has the same things you want, and keep in mind that you still will be on the look out for a Pfaff because there just is nothing like a Pfaff!!!

Thanks, I've already put an email out to the store that replaced the motherboard for me, hoping he will give me an idea of what to do.

I'm so sorry about your machine. I have the 1471 and absolutely love that machine. I bought it in 1986 brand new and it is my go to machine. I just sewed binding on a quilt yesterday and it did such a good job, better than my newer Brother. I just hope it lasts a long time.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries
    When I gave my Pfaff 1473 away to a dear friend who had been praying for a sewing machine, my husband got me the Pfaff 7570. It does everything and much more. It has the creative stitch ability, plus it also has the embroidery unit with it. We paid $1000 for it and I have never regretted the exchange. You would love the 7570.

Well the new foot on my brother dreamweaver sews through 6 layers of denim flawlessly, tried the other day just for fun, but the machine is a pretty penny, but don't think it would have a problem with canvas. Why isn't it covered through flood insurance, that doesn't seem right to me, they should cover all electronics lost. machines are very expensive and that's why we have insurance. I hope you get a good replacement soon. It must be hard to start fresh in those situations. Just know all of the board members here are wishing the best for you
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

It may be, but as Personal, it's depreciated, and I can't imagine getting much for a 30 year old sewing machine, no matter what shape it was in at the time. And I'm expecting to run up to my coverage limit with the furniture, electronics, etc that's not covered as "Building". My entire first floor will have to be gutted, so there's plenty to spend money on. ;o(

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast