Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lost the urge >

Lost the urge

Lost the urge

Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM

It hit me at least twice the last couple of years and nothing worked with me honestly but just ignoring it and let the time pass . I tried to pet the fabrics, read QB posts for hours, look at patterns, sit in front of the machine.....nope nothing so i backed up and it came back all of a sudden and made a king size quilt for my bed :-)

Just let it be and enjoy yourself doing something else..
Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 PM

With me, it has to do with health issues. First it was a UTI that lingered way too long, then, shingles.....and all the time, arthritis. The change of seasons makes a difference. Decreased daylight hours are a sure turnoff. Cloudy days are depressing. Unfinished projects are downers. I am trying to push through these things and slowly, slowly, it is coming back. Completing a project boosts my mojo enormously even if it is a very small one. Finding a fabulous quilt pattern and knowing I have fabric to make it is a breakthrough sometimes. Having a deadline to finish something helps me. Such as a gift for a loved one. Running out of basting spray and marking (Frixion) pens put a stop to my machine quilting. I am not driving 20 miles for this, so ordered online. But, I believe, there is a reason I just don't understand that makes me lose my enthusiasm.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 AM

Don't force yourself. It is OK if you want to do something else or nothing else for a while! I've taken many breaks from sewing and had times when it ruled my life! It's OK!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 AM

I've been "locked out" of my sewing room for about a month now due to bursitis in my shoulder and problems with my thyroid medication. At first it really bothered me, but the longer I've been away from it, the less I feel like I'll be going back to quilting after my problems get solved. I hope that like you, at some point, I'll be able to "get back in the grove".
Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 AM

I look at quilting as a hobby...and therefore not a necessary part of my life. I have had many hobbies.....always been a "crafty" person, going from one to another, each giving me satisfaction as I was doing them but then eventually something else caught my eye and off I went! I never felt guilty when I moved on to something else....just broadening horizons. Granted there are those who have made quilting their livelihood and good for them..I am not that driven by it. Lately due to life changes I have found myself not as absorbed in my sewing room as I once was, but that is ok -either the flame will spark again or something else will peak my interest.....remember, our ancestor quilters did most of theirs out of necessity.....so let your life be your guide JMHO
Old 11-12-2013, 06:10 AM

That happened to me when I switched sewing room and DS room, lost my mojo. (He wanted the queen size guest bed) I just hung in there and kept going to Guild and my bee and forced myself to sew tops. Lightning struck about a month ago and I have quilted 4 quilts. The tops, I forced myself to do during the uninspired time are not favorites and almost a waste of fabric. I recommend watching and waiting and one day something will come along that makes you want to start again.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 AM

I come here almost every day to try to get myself enthused. It's been months and months since I sat down at my machine. I look at it every day hoping it will call me. I have 2 ready to quilt and I just keep refolding them to keep them from getting permanent folds. Sigh......
Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 AM

If you find where my mojo went could you please send it back to me
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Usually all I have to do is hit the Fabric Store and POOF I get all excited and the bug has sunk its teeth in and I over flow with ideas and can't wait to get home and start cutting. I don't even have to buy fabric. I have so much at home.Which is a good thing : )