Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Lots and Lots of Fabric

Today I stumbled into a shop that makes curtains, pillows, and does upholstery work etc, etc. They had oodles and oodles of fabric, (some of it was Waverly and other brand names) most of it 54 wide, and a lot of it was 100% cotton plus they had a 20% discount going on (even on the sale items)...but I didn't buy anything today because I wanted to know does anyone use this type of fabric for quilts? I'm fairly new at quilting so I wanted someone's advice before I went wild!

Blog Entries
    100 % cotton is what I use - so I don't see why not

I've got Waverly fabric too, but didn't know if it would be good for a quilt...it's fairly heavy.

as long as its 100% cotton you should be good

Sounds like my kind of place! Location please??????......Michele

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I've got Waverly fabric too, but didn't know if it would be good for a quilt...it's fairly heavy.
    I agree, I have drooled over fabric like that also, but it really would be too heavy!

i've made many things with home dec fabric... it wears lie iron and has a huge advantage to "coordinating colors"... also great for totes.. have fun..

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I made a dress from brocade drapery fabric and wore to a very fancy dinner at a captains house...everyone thought it was beautiful....it was....

Some of the fabric was heavy, but what I'm looking at was more like what I call polished cotton, and the lighter weights that said they were 100% cotton. The prices were great because they had a lot of remnants and they were also included in the 20% off and they were already marked down because they were remnants.
    This was in Federalsburg, Maryland where this shop is.

You might want to find out if it has been treated with any water, bug, and/or stain repellents. Any of those may affect how well a quilt handles being washed and how well a person handles sleeping with the chemicals under their nose all night.

Of course I use 100% cotton - but, I also consider the tightness of the weave, the weight, and the finish. Some finishes wash repeatably well, others do not. If I wanted to buy some, I'd purchase a small amount and go home to wash and dry it several times. Mark a ruler on it with permanent ink to find out how much (if any) it shrinks. If it looked the way I wanted, I'd rush back to the store!

I think I'm going to go back on Monday and pick up a little fabric and try out your suggestion. Thanks a bunch! Thanks to all of you!

I found a place near me that will give you their scraps you just have to haul away. I ended up with so much it was amazing good quality fabric!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda R
    Today I stumbled into a shop that makes curtains, pillows, and does upholstery work etc, etc. They had oodles and oodles of fabric, (some of it was Waverly and other brand names) most of it 54 wide, and a lot of it was 100% cotton plus they had a 20% discount going on (even on the sale items)...but I didn't buy anything today because I wanted to know does anyone use this type of fabric for quilts? I'm fairly new at quilting so I wanted someone's advice before I went wild!
    It would work, but it is a little heavier than quilting cotton. It works great for bags and purses. I would try a simple project before I used it on a big project like a quilt.

The plus side of decorator fabrics is that most do not fade in sunlight as fast as many quilting cottons. The downside is that most are not made for machine washing, even if they are cotton. The dyes used are not intended for repeat washings and do not stay true after a few washings.
    When was the last time you put your couch in the wash?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IngeMK
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I agree, I have drooled over fabric like that also, but it really would be too heavy!
    I also agree, too heavy for quilts IMO

I would think the weight would be similar to that of denim. Don't know about the fading during washings, tho'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    I would think the weight would be similar to that of denim. Don't know about the fading during washings, tho'.
    Most or all of home dec fabric is treated for ultraviolet resistance, which may be fine in quilting. But it also has a treatment that gives it the nice crisp feel and look. The first time you wash it, that is gone and more so each time you wash it. This is true especially of Waverly fabrics. I used to do a lot of home dec sewing for people and have used the scraps for pillows etc. Just doesn't hold up to a lot of washing. If you do decide to sew with it, use a heavy needle, 90/14, or even a denim needle.

Thanks for the info Gran of 6! I will remember that. I think I will wash what I buy first just to see how it does hold up. They sure had some beautiful fabric and I liked the idea it was wide. I'm thinking it would be great for backings if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    The plus side of decorator fabrics is that most do not fade in sunlight as fast as many quilting cottons. The downside is that most are not made for machine washing, even if they are cotton. The dyes used are not intended for repeat washings and do not stay true after a few washings.
    When was the last time you put your couch in the wash?
    Agreed, the washing aspect would also concern me if the fabric is going to be used for a quilt that will get heavy usage.