Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lousy Memory Question >

Lousy Memory Question

Lousy Memory Question

Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 AM

I rarely use fabric softeners now. I attended a Norwex party (cleaning products) and bought a pair of dryer balls which are used in the dryer in place of fabric softeners. Joann Fabrics carries dryer balls, a bit different, but with the same idea. You can use your coupons to buy a pair of them. I use the balls from both Norwex and Joann's at the same time...and they do work. Very little static and the clothes seem to dry faster. Problem: they do make a racket but DH says not to worry about that and just use them, smile.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I don't use fabric softener before sewing or quilting. Not even dryer sheets! Some people get carried away with softener. Then if it's scented many have allergies and the nap is not like when you first purchased it. Sticks together and really isn't as soft as if you would just wash and fluff in the dryer.
I'm with you! I only use softener for bath towels now. Everything comes out the same as if I'd used softener, so I'm saving my money for fabric and Color Catchers! The humidity here prevents any static cling. So far. :-)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 AM

I've seen those dryer balls in the grocery store! I might have to try them.

Coopah, I had to chuckle when I read that you only use softener for bath towels - that's the only load I don't use softener in! I was told it makes the towels less absorbent.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I'm with you! I only use softener for bath towels now. Everything comes out the same as if I'd used softener, so I'm saving my money for fabric and Color Catchers! The humidity here prevents any static cling. So far. :-)
And I specifically don't use softener with bath towels, because I think it makes them less absorbent. I love how everyone does things differently!

And I see Peckish does the same!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Thank you all for your responses and link! For some reason, I had it in my head that it had something to do with the fleece pilling(knotting, whatever!). I usually use fab softener sheets because we are in a dry climate and have very hard water. Quit using liquid on towels for reasons stated above.............Most of my towels are so old, they are soft without!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 PM

I use the dry balls as well. I haven't used softener for years, just color catchers.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 AM

You can make your own dryer ball out of aluminum foil. Just wad it up into a ball. Throw it in dryer. Comes out perfectly round - at least mine did. I hang my towels & sheets outside 'cause I love the smell of air dried.