Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lousy Memory Question

Blog Entries

Lousy Memory Question

I know I read (or heard) that the fleece I was using warned not to use fabric softener when washing. Are you aware of this, or is it only certain types of fleece?

I don't use fabric softener so I haven't been paying attention! Lol.

Blog Entries
    I have an acrylic blanket I love and it says not to use fabric softeners on it. it won't fluff as much.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I've never paid attention. Need to read the labels more. And, yes, I have had accidents and still have not learned a lesson.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I have noticed that on a throw my granddaughter has but I am not sure why you are not suppose to use it.

If you can't use fabric softener, how do you delint and decathair stuff? Just using the dryer doesn't remove all of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
    If you can't use fabric softener, how do you delint and decathair stuff? Just using the dryer doesn't remove all of it.
    I know this is not on topic, but Weezy Rider - what am I looking at in your photo?
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Power Poster
    Usually our stuff is okay - unless I forget a tissue in a pocket.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    I know this is not on topic, but Weezy Rider - what am I looking at in your photo?
    They look like ferrets!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    They look like ferrets!
    I thought they were ferrets, too.

Fabric softener makes fleece 'puff up'. Therefore it is harder to sew and if quilted it can distort the whole piece

I've never heard of that but have washed plenty of fleece, have always used fabric softener and never had a problem, on the other hand I would say that if you DIDN'T use softener you would have a terrible time with static with fleece.

Blog Entries
    Pocket full of weasels, lol.

Blog Entries
    I know many people say you are just wasting the fabric softener adding it to fleece, or any other 100% polyester fabric--- because it doesn't ...soak in, make the fabric softer... but I use it anyway- because it does help with the static
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    I know I read (or heard) that the fleece I was using warned not to use fabric softener when washing. Are you aware of this, or is it only certain types of fleece?
    I took a class using "cuddle" recently and we were told to use softner sheets if necessary but never liquid softners. You may like this site with lots of helpful tips, shannonfabrics.com

Blog Entries
    The advice is to cut all your pieces then throw in dryer or shake them outside to de lint. Putting the whole yardage in dryer doesnt de lint. I use the dryer and clean the lint trap often. See shannonfabrics.com for hints

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't use fabric softener before sewing or quilting. Not even dryer sheets! Some people get carried away with softener. Then if it's scented many have allergies and the nap is not like when you first purchased it. Sticks together and really isn't as soft as if you would just wash and fluff in the dryer.

Those are ferrets. The light one passed away from old age, and the other 2 moved to the UK with the kid.
    I miss the buggers. They shared my sewing room for a few years.

I was asking about fleece and velux that can generate enough static electricity in a dry climate to be a real pain.

We had a black and mostly white cat. During the days of dacron/doubleknit or whatever mens' dress pants were made of all someone wearing those pants had to do was walk in the house, and his pants would be covered by cat hair and the cat wasn't even in the room. Dry climate and forced hot air heat. There are still fabrics like this made.

Washing and drying cotton does take the lint and cat hair off.

BTW - some fleece is made from recycled pop bottles. They were touting this a couple of years ago, and you still will see it advertised.

I use micro cloths (only for my quilting) I purchase at the dollar tree. They collect the fuzz and the strings from rag quilts. I have gotten in the habit of tossing 2 or 3 in with my quilts and when pre-washing my fabric along with the color catchers of course. They go into the dryer too.

I rarely use fabric softeners now. I attended a Norwex party (cleaning products) and bought a pair of dryer balls which are used in the dryer in place of fabric softeners. Joann Fabrics carries dryer balls, a bit different, but with the same idea. You can use your coupons to buy a pair of them. I use the balls from both Norwex and Joann's at the same time...and they do work. Very little static and the clothes seem to dry faster. Problem: they do make a racket but DH says not to worry about that and just use them, smile.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I don't use fabric softener before sewing or quilting. Not even dryer sheets! Some people get carried away with softener. Then if it's scented many have allergies and the nap is not like when you first purchased it. Sticks together and really isn't as soft as if you would just wash and fluff in the dryer.
    I'm with you! I only use softener for bath towels now. Everything comes out the same as if I'd used softener, so I'm saving my money for fabric and Color Catchers! The humidity here prevents any static cling. So far. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I've seen those dryer balls in the grocery store! I might have to try them.

Coopah, I had to chuckle when I read that you only use softener for bath towels - that's the only load I don't use softener in! I was told it makes the towels less absorbent.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    I'm with you! I only use softener for bath towels now. Everything comes out the same as if I'd used softener, so I'm saving my money for fabric and Color Catchers! The humidity here prevents any static cling. So far. :-)
    And I specifically don't use softener with bath towels, because I think it makes them less absorbent. I love how everyone does things differently!

And I see Peckish does the same!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your responses and link! For some reason, I had it in my head that it had something to do with the fleece pilling(knotting, whatever!). I usually use fab softener sheets because we are in a dry climate and have very hard water. Quit using liquid on towels for reasons stated above.............Most of my towels are so old, they are soft without!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast