Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love of Quilting Magazine forever >

Love of Quilting Magazine forever

Love of Quilting Magazine forever

Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 PM

LOL think of all the fabric you could have bought instead jcrow!
Old 10-31-2016, 02:28 PM

Buyer Beware is certainly an important maxim. This is true of magazine subscriptions and lots of other things. There are lots of entities that would love to get some of your money.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I got a renew notice with my first issue of MCCall's Quilting magazine subscription. If you wait until the last issue you usually get a really good discount to renew. I think the magazine owes you a big refund. My subscription was $10 a year because I waited until it was my last issue. The only one I don't have to keep up with is Block. Charged for every issue not yearly.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:30 PM

I get the same 'reminders' from AAA and AARP - far, far in advance of the actual renewal dates. Since I only have a couple of those things to manage it's fairly easy to remember when they are due. I don't need to renew that far in advance! I can use my $$ for other things in the interim.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:32 AM

Shame on Fons and Porter for not sending you an individual letter that your subscriptions were caught up. Companies project future revenues and a subscription so far in advance should have kicked out an exception on a subscribers report. I hate to see the name Fons and Porter on all of the quilt magazines just because it is such a monopoly. No competition so no need to compete for our business. Classic case of take the money and run.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Fons and Porter was sold to a large publishing company years ago. The actual Fons and Porter have retired. Most of the quilt magazines are owned by the same company.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:31 AM

I always wait until it says "This is the last notice you will ever receive!" and then I pay.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

My husband brought that to my attention couple months ago. Learn something everyday.
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
My husband gets 20+ magazines so I've really learned to manage them. On many magazines, your subscription expiration date is printed on your mailing label. Magazines (almost all magazines) will send a card out to renew your subscription far in advance of the actual date, often years in advance. I always check the mailing label before renewing.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I've been getting 'Love of Quilting' magazine by Fons and Porter for years and years. I had to call them recently about an order and said I should probably renew my subscription while I was on the phone. The gal went quiet for some time and then she spoke. She said my subscription didn't run out until 2027. I asked her if she was kidding. She said she wasn't.

She said that I kept subscribing about three times a year or more for quite a few years. I said I only subscribed when there was a bag on the magazine and a subscription card inside of it.
She said that didn't mean it was time to subscribe. Well, I'll be. Ha ha. I asked her if they could NOT put a bag around mine and NEVER put a subscription card in the bag. She said okay.

Am I the only kooky one out here? At least I never have to pay for it until 2027. That's a plus!
I literally did laugh out loud while reading this! Thanks for the chuckle today!
Old 11-01-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
What if mag goes under before 2027-will you get a refund?
This has happened to me a few times - usually the remaining subscriptions get sold to another magazine. I've never gotten a refund.