Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In Love!!! >

In Love!!!

In Love!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with paper piecing. I love the accuracy and the way you can piece intricate blocks without having to cut templates, but it can be very frustrating when you sew and flip and your piece does not fit. I also don't like how there can be more waste with the fabric. My 6 year old loves to pull out the paper for me, so I don't have that problem.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by beaniekins
but it can be very frustrating when you sew and flip and your piece does not fit. I also don't like how there can be more waste with the fabric. My 6 year old loves to pull out the paper for me, so I don't have that problem.
I once was helping a friend with a huge pp project.
She would cut apart a foundation a pattern, take each piece and cut the fabric from a stack (adding seam allowances).
I thought this was a tremendous waste of time - I personally like working in the chaos of pp with, yes, the occasional wrong sized piece.
Anyway, she was in a rush and asked me to do a block for her. She gave me the foundation and the cut pieces.
And I have to say I was pretty amazed at how quickly it all went together as there was practically NO trimming, and everything lined up beautifully.
I'm not saying it's something I would do regularly - mostly because I am lazy - but I can definitely see the benefit in certain situations.
Again, it's just another method that I'm glad I know about.

And having legal child labor around to help out is always a benefit!! ;-)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I use vellum if it's going through the printer, and tracing paper if I'm needle punching the design myself.

There's also the freezer paper technique - nothing to remove.
Or the Fun-sible interfacing that's printable but you leave it attached - again, nothing to remove.
Ditto and ditto. I like vellum because it's see-through, and I also like folding my paper out of the way before stitching, which means no tearing when I'm done!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I love PP too... and I don't mind removing the paper at all. I would spend even more time ripping and resewing seams than I do removing the paper :wink: :D:D:D
Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM

I love paper piecing too! I went to the local newspaper office and picked up an end roll of unused newspaper. I have to trace the designs myself, put it tears out soooo easy and it was free!

Just had a brainstorm.......guess I could use a used blade in my roter cutter, and cut some to size to fit my printer...........
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

I have issues with my printer really not liking the thinner papers. But love how easliy the thinner paper is to remove.... so on those projects that I just know I am not going to want to take out all those thicker papers I do the following
1. Spray baste a piece of large cardboard( very sparily)
2. Take my thinner paper and lay it on the prepared cardboard
( this keeps it from shifting)
3. Lay the original pattern on top
3. Take one of those dress makers wheel makers with the pattern trace , and slip the pattern trace paper in between.
4. The the wheel with my rotary cutter ruler and go over the lines . You can use the tip of a butter knife as well to transfer the pattern.
I know it sounds like alot of work but , it saves time on removing the thick paper from the project, and saves HUGE on not having to clear a paper jam from the thin paper , which by the way is alot harder to remove from my printer/copier than thick paper.
Note the cardboard will stay tacky for more than a few weeks.