Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low Cost Sewing Table >

Low Cost Sewing Table

Low Cost Sewing Table

Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Nothing for a first-time-posting newbie? :lol:

I was hoping maybe some of those handsome hubbies (or Riviting Rosies) had enforced the shelf and could tell me if the table is holding up well:)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SecondHandRogue
I was just wondering if those of you who purchased this table are still using it and loving it. I am trying to decide between this and a Sew Perfect table, and would love some feedback from quilters who have been using the table for 6+ months. thanks!
I am not using it anymore. I just didn't feel comfortable with the vibration and after consulting many professionals, decided it wasn't worth messing up my machines.

I was very fortunate to come along this table at a thrift store recently for $39. It retails for as much as $500+, but I've seen it much cheaper when I looked around. Here it is on one site with product info. It's very strong and durable.

http://www.fatcatalog.com/pd/12775/b...eed_COR-BL3072

Here's my table with my Bernina on it:

As you can see, my machine fits quite nicely in the drop down area. There's absolutely no vibration.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137246[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137241.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I still use mine even tho DH has not re-inforced it yet (we moved cross country since original posting). I have a heavy Juki on it, and I, too am not too comfortable with the shaking. Now that we are settled in our new home, I will have him get to it. I would say if you can find something like quiltgranny got, then you shouldn't have a problem, that is really a nice one.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kaye-Kaye
Do any of you that use a folding table, have trouble with it bouncing when you are sewing? When we have a bunch of us together to sew we use folding table and they bounce like crazy when you are sewing fast. Makes me motion sick.
On these computer tables do you think the shelf is strong enough for a sewing machine?
I have one of these tables, have been using it for years. Probably close to 10. Don't have enough room to keep it up in the house here in NC but the new house in MD will have room. Can't wait to get it out again.

I have never had an issues with it bouncing. It is a very solid, sturdy table. The placement of the legs is such that it has a VERY wide stance. And the distribution of the weight is great, so no bouncing. And that has even been with sewing REALLY LOOOOOOOOONG seams on curtain panels - long and relatively fast - and have had no issues.

There are multiple depths that you can sit the shelve out. There are levels that can fit my new Brother, both of my Featherweights, my Serger and my old Singer. The shelf is well constructed - very well supported. The shelf is out of the same material as the top and all of the supports are steel and very tight. I have had my old Singer mechanical (35#) and my Featherweight in its case (18#) on the shelf at the same time. And they stayed that way for several days - don't ask me why they were there together or why they were left, I didn't do it. So that was almost 55# and there were no issues at all.

I purchased mine at Sams many moons ago. But I have seen them at Sams and BJs in the past few months. Definitely a good purchase and well worth the cost. Can't wait to get settled in Maryland and be able to use it again.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 PM

I purchased a foam mat from walmart. The kind you would put in front of the kitchen sink. Comfy to stand on I guess. Anyway. I cut widthwise across the mat and put the pieces under my sewing machine, serger (you know how they vibrate), and my computer tower! This absorbs some of the vibration. My machines are on 2x4 tables that have adjustable height. A few years now, and so far so good.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 AM

ROFL - I've been using one of these for years! I found it on closeout at Staple's about 15 years ago and have been looking for another since so I could leave it at the vacation home. If it is like mine, the keyboard shelf height is adjustable and can accommodate different machines.

Two downsides. One, the table is made from laminated MFD and will develop a sag over time. I also had to reinforce the bolts on the keyboard shelf. The other is that although it folds up, it is awkward and a bit heavy. It's great for my permanent home use, but I wold take it to workshops.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Thanks so much for the responses ladies! I'm still on the fence--my husband claims he'll reinforce it...once he's finished building the surfboards he's working on--which means just short of our kids graduating high school (they are babies now:)

@Quiltgranny: that bi-level table looks fantastic--one thing that seems strange though, no matter how big the table gets--it comes in 4, 5, and 6 foot lengths--the drop down table is very far to the left. Why don't they move it over into the middle!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks so much for the responses ladies! I'm still on the fence--my husband claims he'll reinforce it...once he's finished building the surfboards he's working on--which means just short of our kids graduating high school (they are babies now:)

@Quiltgranny: that bi-level table looks fantastic--one thing that seems strange though, no matter how big the table gets--it comes in 4, 5, and 6 foot lengths--the drop down table is very far to the left. Why don't they move it over into the middle!!!
You can order the drop down table placed either in the center, to the left or to the right. If you look at the 5 step ordering process at this link, #4 asks you to indicate where you want your keyboard placement to be?

http://www.fatcatalog.com/pd/12777/b...eed_COR-BL3048

I really like having mine in the center, which leaves me plenty of room for what I'm sewing on the left side and enough room on the right side for an 18 x 24" cutting mat. My table is 30 x 60".

Hope this helps, :-)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks QG, it really does help! If shipping were no object, that would be a good option...maybe I'll get lucky like you and find one on the cheap:)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks QG, it really does help! If shipping were no object, that would be a good option...maybe I'll get lucky like you and find one on the cheap:)
You're quite welcome. I'll say a prayer for you that you do. This is the very best-est sewing table I've ever owned. :thumbup:

Happy Stitchin'