Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low vision >

Low vision

Low vision

Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 PM

I have not tried it but noted when someone on this board suggested using a black marker and running it down the edge of your ruler so you can easier tell where the edge is.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

My daughter is blind in her left eye, since birth. Of course she has never had normal vision. She can do anything she wants to do. She is needing more light to sew and quilt by. Part of getting older. Schill93 has some very good ideas for anyone having a hard time seeing.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:58 PM

My dear MIL has lost most of her vision due to diabetic retinopathy. She uses a special pair of glasses: Eschenback Max TV glasses when she crochets. She is able to read large print with these glasses. They are available on eBay. Don't know if these will help you, but I thought I'd mention them.

I have an Accuquilt Go Baby, limited to cutting sizes (under 5"), but I love it.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:25 PM

I have only peripheral vision in one eye and a transplanted cornea in the other. I use a bright halogen light on my machine as well as a magnifier. I do machine applique using the satin stitch. Anything is possible.
Attached Thumbnails img_3056.jpg  
Old 07-27-2018, 12:59 AM

I too only have vision in one eye and can only make out shadows in the other. Depth perception is a mess but a machine with an auto-threader is a life saver. I am also finding that things are better than when I first lost my sight (detached retina that would Not reattach even after five surgeries). I suppose your body/vision adapts. The one thing that helps me the most is lighting, excellent bright no shadow lighting. I have placed LED lights in the overhead of my sewing room, extra LED light strips on my machine, use portable OTT lights placed strategically as needed (cutting table), and took the blinds off the windows. My sewing room is almost as bright as a surgical suite but I can see.
Just keep at it and you will find what works for you. Lot of excellent suggestions here too.
And I find I am more forgiving to myself if something is not perfect......my motto "finished is better than perfect".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-28-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-27-2018, 02:02 AM

We had a blind quilter from Indiana speak at one of our Quilters' Day Out. She had been an Indiana State Trooper and lost her sight after an auto accident. She was amazing and made beautiful quilts. I think maybe her husband did her cutting for her.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:19 AM

My eyesight isn't the greatest either, so I'm learning to let go of hand applique, English paper piecing and FMQ and trying to work more with machine applique and walking foot quilting. I bought a Go Baby dye cutter and that works well, too. So far so good. Good lighting helps, as does just taking your time and enjoying the process. Best wishes!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 AM

I found my depth perception was off after eye surgery and having to wear a patch on one eye until it healed. That seemed to be the most troublesome for me. Now I'm having trouble with that same eye. Eye doc says it's a cataract as well as age related MD. So far I'm still able to do everything except having trouble threading the needle on my vintage Kenmore. Hope you find some workable solutions for you.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:14 AM

You could try to increase your lighting around your sewing machine. I have 10 % vision in my right eye ,from a detached retina that was detached. I couldn't do any crafts for about the first year. The eye strain was just too much. I increased my lighting and what a difference!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 AM

Lots of good help ideas already and the only thing I can add is put your machines and cutting tables in front of a window for natural light. I have also lost some vision and that is the thing that has helped me the most to continue doing the things I love.