Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lower Neck/Upper Back Pain - Machine too low? >

Lower Neck/Upper Back Pain - Machine too low?

Lower Neck/Upper Back Pain - Machine too low?

Old 09-07-2019, 12:50 PM

There are some really good tips for dealing with the pain and for the stopping the pain from beginning in the posts the members made. Some of these I need to keep and adhere to. But, when it does happen, one of my favorite little exercises is to roll my shoulders without moving my arms. That really loosens up the back for me.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:00 PM

The absolute best thing I ever did was to "re-learn" how to sew without a foot pedal. I have machines with the start/stop button..they are available on some very reasonably priced machines now. It enables you to sit in a position that is comfortable and doesn't make your shoulders and neck strain. I have a foot stool under my table and sew with my feet up when I want to. It is much easier to learn than I would have thought...go to a store and demo one..it'll surprise you!
Old 09-07-2019, 06:40 PM

my ortho told me get those elbows at 90 degree angle--which for me meant getting a new sewing table that allows me to lower my machine and I use an office chair and raise it up a bit. I was still finding myself gradually lean over into the machine. DH bought a great memory foam pillow that has a lumbar "bump" and I was told to put it so I lean back. I also added a Big Look magnifying glass to that I can the needle better--I don't always use it but it does come in handy. And I have my ironing board on far side of the room so I have to get up and move.
thanks for the good exercise ideas, too!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:42 AM

These are all really good tips that I'll have to give a try. I think my biggest problem is that I tend to revert to an almost hunched over position, so I've been trying to correct my posture when I notice it happening. I also tend to get in the zone and sew on and on until I realize "Oh, it's been almost an hour - and I also can't move my neck"

@donna13350 - Luckily, my machine has the start/stop button feature which has been a god send (that and a good walking foot!); While I have you here, have you happened to try using the start/stop button with a free motion spring foot (like This one) or would you recommend I still use the foot pedal for that?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-08-2019 at 04:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-08-2019, 03:50 AM

If your sewing machine is on a table top and not recessed, you could use rubber door stops in the back of the machine to tilt it forward. This will give you a different sight angle that may help with ergonomics.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 AM

Your pain could also be from bending over a cutting table for any length of time to cut out pieces. This is where my back pain comes from and I just lifted the cutting table up and relieved the discomfort.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:46 AM

Try leaning back into the counter, butt cheeks to the counter, then lean back with arms above head, fingers almost touching, lean as far back as you can, hold for a few seconds/minutes. 2 to 3 times a day. My PT has me doing that.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM

You don't mention how tall you are - for me I am 5'9" - and I have an office chair and decided to just use a pillow instead of putting the chair up higher, and I make sure the chair is forward so I am not sitting on the edge leaning into the machine. Several people have made those little ironing stations so they can iron next to the sewing machine. But I leave my iron across the room so I am forced to get up to iron from time to time. A friend of mine will actually go in and lie down after about 2 hours of sewing. She said she stays more alert that way. (Also, I grew up with a mother that would tell me to sit up straight and to stand up straight.)
Old 09-09-2019, 06:14 AM

If i raise my chair up so my elbows are at 90 degrees then i'm too high to reach the foot pedal. Also my legs aren't long enough to bend at the knee in most chairs unless i sit on the end (or slouch) and have no back support. I have short arms too which make it difficult to maneuver a quilt when machine quilting. I just do the best i can. Ok, I'll stop whining now!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 AM

janjanq, I had the same issues. My husband built me a wooden platform that I put the foot pedal on. This allows me to raise the chair to the correct height. I also have short legs and they were not long enough to bend at the knees. My original chair, a Bernina, had a seat that was 19" deep. I could not sit back to sew. I purchased a Koala chair at a recent quilt show. It measures 17" deep. That 2 inches made a world of difference. I can now sew with no lower back pain. I am 5'2".