Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS Classes >

LQS Classes

LQS Classes

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM

From reading the comments, I'm getting the impression that some shops have classes to 'up sell' materials for the classes and others have the classes to build a customer base, still others have classes that cater to current clients.

I would say look at the motivations behind teaching the classes and define the purpose. Once you do that, you can frame your strategy going forward. Do you have basics classes? For example, intro to machine sewing, or intro to quilting?

I'm one of those 'younger' quilters (at least I like to think so ) and I'm 32. Of course I know how much I can get from youtube and I definitely utilize that resource, but I have also taken classes at the City Quilter and I love it. Many times I've gone to a class and not purchased anything, the times I do buy something, they offer a discount if you are there for a class. They also send out instructions on what we will need before class in case we want to bring everything ourselves. They have sewing machines there, but are happy to make room if you want to bring your own (although nobody ever does). If I was required to buy materials from the shop for every class, I personally would boycott them.

I think it might help if you start to look at you classes as community building events. Here is a link to the class schedule at the city quilter. Most of these classes are repeated every few months, but there is always something new as well.

http://www.cityquilter.com/City-Quil...s-Schedule.pdf
Old 05-08-2015, 01:32 PM

At the shop I go to the beginners class was big, a decent group of us took intermediate together & five of us took advanced. I haven't been interested in most of the specific classes-like whack & stack, hunters star, twister etc. I did take the pineapple class that was a one day class. Sometimes we "recruit" our friends to get the five person minimum sign up for the class to make, but frequently they don't get enough people. A few that I did want to take have been day classes I couldn't attend. I have no interest in small projects like table runners, etc. More junk to store that I would never use.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:30 PM

When I was still working, I tried to take two different classes. My job could be very demanding at times and both classes I missed a couple of sessions because of my job. That is what kept me from taking more classes. Then I could haul my machine with me - now I have a bad back and it's too heavy so I bought a Featherweight. I want to take a class this fall or do the sleep at home retreat one LQS has here and it's for the camaraderie, to meet new people and learn new things. I do think some people are too shy and uncomfortable for classes or don't feel they sew that good to keep up with everyone else or it won't look as good. Also, some people are too shy and are uncomfortable in a class setting or don't think they sew as well as others so they might not keept up or their project won't look good.

Last edited by Cam's gram; 05-08-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 PM

I have more success with my classes that teach a skill -- Begining Piecing Workshop, Beginning Binding, Denim Quilts, Sewing Machine Care and Maintenance. I think students don't want a project class. They want to learn a new skill. I'm scheduled to teach an Intermediate Piecing Class, and only have 3 signed-up so far. This is the first time I've offered it. I hope I get more students before it starts on Thursday. I teach in the evenings.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:28 PM

I don't take classes, there are always a few individuals who monopolize the instructor and others get no assistance at all. While there have been a couple of exceptions, classes are not worth my time or money; I would rather spend my money on a book.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:10 AM

I think the new generation of quilters are so Internet knowledgeable and used to learning from it, they don't feel they need classes in a classroom setting. The older generation who used to take classes are having to spend the money the used to spend on classes on material. Unfortunately, they are on fixed incomes and can no longer afford both. I am part of the fixed income group and really miss taking classes.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:55 AM

I took one beginners class, then went back 3 more times....i was so bored that i came home finished the quilt and within the year did 17 more. Some just pick up quicker than others. This past October i did 6 quilts start to finish before Christmas, and this included doing the quilting on my DMS... Maybe you should offer classes for different levels, or perhaps offer the 1st lesson for free, so that you can bring in interested quilters, while offering the ''whole package '' at a certain rate to finish. This would also help give an idea of what level the quilters have achieved, and how many need more attention. Or offer beginners (1st class free) showing what you will be making, intermediate ...etc... don't know if this helps but I know it has brought in more quilters this way than before....
Old 05-09-2015, 04:04 AM

I regularly attend a class provided my local township - have learned much from both teachers and fellow classmates. I find that some teachers in my LQS have limited experience and projects are things I can do on my own. Love You Tube, other internet sites and this board - all in the comfort of my home. Perhaps if I didn't belong to a guild and have town class/group I might feel differently.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:36 AM

Much as I would enjoy a class, my schedule is so crazy and unpredictable that I am hesitant to sign up not knowing if I would actually be able to be there.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Believe it or not, not all quilters want classes. I prefer to quilt on my own, at my own pace, in the comfort of my own home.