Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS Classes >

LQS Classes

LQS Classes

Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM

I have attended classes from 3 shops, driving about 1 hour one way to each. Two of the shops offer 1-4pm classes and I find I only get some cutting and sewing done and the time is over...some times I can not finish the project at home alone and it just sits. The other shop clearly gives a list and usually some cutting instructions and I find I do much better there. They also have longer classes and are careful to rate them so beginners like me do not get in over my head. My favorite shop also has a meet the teachers day when they unveil the next classes. You can look at the quilt you will make and ask questions of the person teaching the classes you are interested in. This shop usually has good turnouts! Hope this helps you
Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 PM

I took a class one time and we were all waiting for the teacher to show up. We waited over an hour. She forgot she was teaching the class that day.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:24 AM

I usually sign up for classes to learn a new technique. I usually won't sign up for a class to make a specific pattern. I can purchase the pattern and read the instructions or find it on the internet. One good thing about taking classes is the fellowship of other quilters. You can learn a lot from other quilters and learn a lot of shortcuts or other ways of doing something. My personal irritation about taking classes is that there is a long supply list of items that are never used in the class. I'm on a limited budget and don't need to be buying supplies that I don't need.
I just took a class from a well known instructor and she said that classes are slow all over and a lot of instructors have open schedules with very few bookings. I don't know if it's the economy or the internet. I hope things pick up for you.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 AM

I am a self taught quilter. I've watched a video or two, but learn so much from all you ladies here on QB. 3 or 4 years ago, I got hooked on English Paper Piecing from watching a short video on Jessica A's blog, Life Under Quilts. After finishing the hand piecing, for the top, I waited 6 months for her book, Quilting on the Go to be published so I could learn how to add borders. Once I had it quilted, I brought it to show at our LQS, and they asked me to teach a monthly class because they had has several inquiries on classes for EPP. I've been teaching since January, and have enjoyed teaching from 5- 11 ladies each month. Starting in June, I'll be teaching 2 classes each month. I find a lot of people really like the hands on teaching, and enjoy the social aspect of a class. Others really enjoy sewing, but struggle with reading the pattern and understanding what it is asking you to do. Teaching has become such a fulfilling experience for me. I thoroughly enjoy it. Perhaps the owner of the LQS could ask customers what they classes they would like and tailor the offerings to what her customers want.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:12 AM

I have been sewing for probably 50 years and have only taken two classes: a serger boot class (I never had the chance to take the intro class when it was purchased) and a class offered by a well known designer through the guild. The last was okay, instructor personable etc. but never finished the project as the colors just weren't me. I support my LQS by attending their retreat center (adjoining) and purchasing while I am there. I don't sign up for classes because I have more than enough projects in my closet, and in my head to last three lifetimes and don't want to start something else that they picked. My LQS does a fabulous job of bringing people in the door with other activities: play day (all day sewing for $10 with hourly demos on new notions and door prizes), during breast cancer month they request decorated bras which are voted on with all money going to charity, food expo of all local eateries in their gorgeous gardens, guest speakers with truck shows and workshops, and this past week they tried a Red Carpet Rave (simulating the Academy Awards but a Show and Tell for a $10 fee) complete with mic, appetizers, flowers, awards, red carpet runway. Everyone present dressed up and showed off their project and had a vote for Viewers Choice for the best quilt, purse/garment, wall hanging. I was honored to have received the award for best quilt for the quilt shown here on the board: Appliqued Memory Quilt for MIL's 90th

​There are many others, but the idea is always to get people in the shop and then promote their stuff..........which seems to be working. They do offer classes or weekly sew-ins but never really inquired as to their successes.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Every now & then our local has a class that interests me but I am Never able to attend one. They are always scheduled during the day, like 10am - 2 pm, which may seem reasonable to some but....not all quilters are retired, or stay at home people.... Many of us have to work to pay our bills. I can not take a day off to take a class. What seems like ( reasonable - good time for quilters) might not be at all. I would suggest the shop put together a survey/ questionnaire and ask customers to fill it out- what they are interested in, the times they ( wish) classes could be, prices they feel is reasonable. Etc.
We used to have a lqs that was good about scheduling classes during evening hours, for a while they went well; then the owner decided all the classes had to include the purchase and a kit that was quite expensive... Even as an instructor I did not think $20 for a class, then an additional $65+ for a table runner kit was reasonable at all. People stopped taking classes there
Old 05-10-2015, 01:34 PM

I have only taken one class, and I loved it. It was a beginning 'quilting' class, although it was really a piecing class, no quilting. I had already completed two quilts, but taking the class made me want to kick myself for not taking advantage of that learning experience before bumbling thru on my own. I learned a lot, we had fun, and completed a very nice sampler quilt top.

I would like to take more classes, however, my LQS usually holds most of them during the day, and I work full time. That is my big problem. Content of some of the classes also doesn't interest me. I think taking a survey of what potential students want may be your best bet, and offering them in a time slot that working students can use.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:54 PM

I will echo what a lot of others have already stated but I think its important for LQS owners and teachers to know. I am a beginning quilter and would love to take more classes but I work full time weekdays and often weekends are busy. I do appreciate the occasional class on a Saturday or Sunday but it is an investment of time. Someone posted earlier about having weeknight classes spread apart over several weeks (i.e every other Thursday or every 3rd Thursday)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:37 AM

After reading the comments thus far, the pattern I see emerging is timing, cost of supplies, degree of interest in content. So my recommendation (which echos that of those above) is conduct a survey of potential attendees regarding when they would be able to come, how much they would be willing to spend on supplies they do not already have, and what they would like to learn more about.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

For supplies - I am willing to buy the book or pattern for the class -

If the class is to learn how to buy a special/unique tool or ruler - I might be willing to buy it - but would want to see it demonstrated first.

For fabric - I have a "bit" at home - I really prefer to use what I have, if possible.

If the shop/class makes it clear that it is okay to use what - especially fabrics - I already have - I would be more willing to sign up for a class. It is highly likely that I will "need" something while attending the class - so I probably would buy whatever at the shop then.