Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS question >

LQS question

LQS question

Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 PM

If she asked to see your quilt, show it to her! Sometimes it helps shop owners to get an idea of what their customers like when they see completed quilts. I know THE best quilt shop in my area has done that since the day they opened & because of that they know their customers really well. They love talking about techniques used, materials used & they do notice what kinds of fabrics were used & whether they were likely to have come from their shop. They use that as free market research to improve their inventory.

There is a Repro LQS by me that sells 30's, Civil War & Downton Abbey fabrics exclusively. The other day my niece picked out one of their fabrics for the back of her quilt. They didn't have the 3 yards that I needed, so I ended up ordering it online -- and told them that was what I was going to do because my niece would never be happy if she didn't get the exact print she spent time picking out and she would insist that I pull the quilt apart & re-do it or "glue the pretty fabric on the back" (yeah. well... she's 3 & hasn't grasped the concept yet that a quilt needs to be sewn together).

They still encouraged me to enter my quilt in their annual quilt show (looks like it won't be finished in time, but they wanted it in there in spite of the backing coming from somewhere else & the batting being Warm & Plush, which they don't stock). The important thing, I think, is that if you are going there to use their shop space for sewing, the proper way to thank them is to spend $15-20/quilt in their shop either on classes, fabric or supplies. I've found that most quilt shops have a good deal on something and there are always those times when I realize I need something at the 11th hour & on-line orders wouldn't reach me in time.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Your loyalty is commendable and that alone shows that you are an amazing person! I'm sure the owner of your LQS is very appreciative of the support you give her and I'm also sure she does not expect exclusive rights to your custom. You have no reason to feel guilty at all.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:29 AM

I try to support my LQS but I buy backing elsewhere because the price is so different. I also have a large stash so I never make excuses. She also knows I go to shop hops and love quilt shows. She hangs my quilts in her store for display when I get my fabric from there but she knows I shop all over the place. I do try to support her shop and I tell everyone about it. She has been in business about 3 yrs and just doubled her size so I think she is doing well!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 AM

One shop is not all things. I am sure she realizes that you have to purchase from other vendors. Just be consistent in her business and you'll be fine.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses... makes me feel better. I am sure that she knows I shop elsewhere, I just want her to do well
Old 08-05-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't worry. I worked closely with a LQS at my previous residency but they can't have everything I needed. If they didn't have a color I needed, I bought it elsewhere. I am sure since they knew that I professional quilted for others, that I bought my batting by the roll wholesale. The LQS here closed a year ago last April. I tried to buy items there that I needed but since I don't drive, I have to buy the items I need online.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 AM

I am fortunate to have several LQSs within reach and each one has its own personality... they are supportive of each other and surely wouldn't be bothered knowing that I shop elsewhere. Just this week when I was looking for 30's fabric my LQS suggested one of the competitors for my 30's fabric search. I call that great customer service.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 AM

I try to support local businesses, but sometimes its just not possible... selection, price etc. I used to feel guilty but , I have adopted the policy to support ME first. Before I worry about keeping someone else in business , first I need to keep the roof over my head.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:24 PM

I like to support LQS 's but it is not always possible - for instance one often has samples that I admire but has "run out" of the fabric needed for them. It's the staff in the LQS that makes a difference to me. The shop I have gone to most in the last few years has changed staff - unfortunately new manager is not very knowledgeable although she thinks she is so I am less inclined to patronize this shop.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Don't worry about it. I work at a LQS, and we are friends with the other LQS in town. Our employees shop at the other shop when we can't find what we need where we work. And vice versa. We make fleece blankets on a blanket-stitch machine at the store, and most of the time, the fabric is from JoAnn's. It's good business to not worry about whether the fabric came from another shop. One of our employee keeps saying, "we're in the friend business." It's always a treat to have customers come back and show us what they've made.
This is really a great response! Don't make yourself feel badly at all. Think of restaurants. I bet you don't eat at only one. I love finding new-to-me shops. It's inspiring!