Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: machine for cutting strips

Blog Entries
    i bought one a few weeks back, tried it out, took it back the same day & ordered a go-baby. it wouldnt stay straight, the fabric, and it didnt want to cut at all

I got one of those strip cutter.Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I now have an accuquilt.Best money I ever spent.I'm 72. Sure makes cutting much easier.I make care quilts for my guild. "SEW VAC DIRECT " has them for $224.99 w/free shipping in the USA.they also have some of the dies on sale. They have layaway and financing.

Got one from Joann's and never got consistent cuts. Took it back. I am very careful, but this machine is not ready for prime time!!

I have the Simplicity electric strip cutter. Like Bella Boo, I have used it mostly for cutting strips to make fabric bowls. It works wonderfully for that purpose.

I have also cut 2" strips for quilting with this machine. It works okay, but only if you are willing to go very slooooowly. If you try to cut fast, the strips wiggle all over the place and you won't get accurate cuts.

Now as for the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker - that thing is pretty awesome! I use mine all the time... love it.

Blog Entries
    I bought one, tried it (many times), returned it, bought the Shape Cut Ruler, Love It!! I think the shape cut is much easier to use and WAY ore accurate. Just my opinion, of course.

Blog Entries
    I will be interested to see what you think of it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN
    I bought one, tried it (many times), returned it, bought the Shape Cut Ruler, Love It!! I think the shape cut is much easier to use and WAY ore accurate. Just my opinion, of course.
    Agree !!!!!! 100%

Blog Entries
    Thank you all so very much. You have saved me 2 trips to Walmart. I have 2 JT rulers and will just stick to them. I love them and get wonderful results and would recommend them to anyone. Glenda

Must have been in a spending mood. LOL

Blog Entries
    Accuquilt is the way to go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder
    A friend got one as a gift and asked me to try it out. I can cut with my rotary cutter much faster. You have to be careful, one little wobble and its out of the guide giving irregular results. IMO its not worth the money. Friend may like it as she doesn't use the ruler and rotary much.
    I agree. Bought one a year ago and it takes forever to set up and the cuts are difficult to keep straight. Took it right back. Rotary cutter is faster and more accurate for me. Ann

Blog Entries
    Love my Go!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    Has anyone seen the little machine that cuts strips? And little it is. Walmart has one ($50) that cuts strips from 1/2" to 2 1/2". I'm going to get one if only to see how it operates. It just really has my curiousity up. Does anyone have one? I'd love to hear what you think of it. Glenda
    Will be interested in knowing how you like it. I have a June Tailor mat and love that. And it was cheaper than those strip cutters.

I bought one. Paid $79.99 plus shipping and I Hate it. You have to be so careful or you will wobble and your strip will be off. I'd much rather cut out with my rotary cutter.

Blog Entries
    I have one and really don't like it, but I thought maybe it was just me not getting the adjustments right. I put it up to play with later, when I have nothing better to do.

My DIL gave me a Simplicity one last Christmas but I sent it back. Too time consuming and the strips were too irregular.
    Don't waste your money.

I bought the Acquilt and love. It is worth the money. I have the other one and hated it. It is in my closet.

Blog Entries
    I recently used my Accuquilt to cut 2 1/2" strips for sashing. How simple it was and lovely straight strips. So far the quilt has gone together like a dream.
    The Accuquilt was a big expense but I'm so glad I bought it as my arthritis seems to be getting worse. Can't wait to cut more shapes and put a top together.

I saw a Fiskars one at JoAnn, but can't justify the cost after putting so much money into rotary blades and my Olfa mat.

Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    Has anyone seen the little machine that cuts strips? And little it is. Walmart has one ($50) that cuts strips from 1/2" to 2 1/2". I'm going to get one if only to see how it operates. It just really has my curiousity up. Does anyone have one? I'd love to hear what you think of it. Glenda
    I

have one and I like it except it is like the cords are attached wrong. meaning that the foot control is too short to set on floor while using. I use my right hand to press the foot control and the left to control the fabric. great for making binding.

Blog Entries
    i have and cannot master it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2