Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine embroidered blocks using cutaway stabilizer >

Machine embroidered blocks using cutaway stabilizer

Machine embroidered blocks using cutaway stabilizer

Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 AM

Default Machine embroidered blocks using cutaway stabilizer

I'm planning a quilt containing 16 machine embroidered blocks, 6x8" each finished size, that I'm embroidering with lightweight cutaway stabilizer.

Is it better to trim the stabilizer to near the design (which extends almost to the edges of the blocks) or just leave the whole block backed and incorporate it into the quilt? My first impulse was to trim, but was concerned that would be "icky" from the top and it would better to have the whole block backed.

Your input and experience appreciated!!

Hallie
Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

when id did a whole quilt out of 6" sq blocks, I used a light wt and didn't remove it. I 'm not sure about a medium weight. can you make a small sample and wash it to see how it comes out?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks; this stabilizer is a very light weight, so knowing it worked OK for you to leave it all is great.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:45 PM

When I did my embroidered blocks I used fusible interfacing on the back of the block before embroidering then cut away stabilizer. I left the cut away on. My blocks were very stitch heavy (about 25,000 stitches per block)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:47 PM

I do embroidered blocks using no show mesh which is a lightweight stabilizer, I trim to the block size. The stabilizer does not add any bulk to the quilt and is easy to sew through to join the blocks together
Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 AM

I iron a light weight stabilizer to the quilt block and use medium cut away in the hoop. I have tried it both ways and like the finished look better when I leave the cut away the same size as the block. All those stitches from the embroidery design need a good foundation or over time they will start to pucker on the quilt.

Originally Posted by hray View Post
I'm planning a quilt containing 16 machine embroidered blocks, 6x8" each finished size, that I'm embroidering with lightweight cutaway stabilizer.

Is it better to trim the stabilizer to near the design (which extends almost to the edges of the blocks) or just leave the whole block backed and incorporate it into the quilt? My first impulse was to trim, but was concerned that would be "icky" from the top and it would better to have the whole block backed.

Your input and experience appreciated!!

Hallie