Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine embroidery costs/help? >

Machine embroidery costs/help?

Machine embroidery costs/help?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by crafty-kid View Post
I made a few quilt labels for close friends a few months ago. Well now one of the gals came to me asking if I'd embroider 22 labels for some quilts that she and some friends made for a retreat lodge.

She said that she wants to pay me, but I have no clue of what to charge. What would be a going rate to tell her my cost? Is there anyone that does embroidery for profit of "break even"? Do you charge per stitch, hoop time, by the hour, or all of the above? It would be 10 words "Made for____ Family Retreat Name, City, State, and year" These would all be the same, but 22 of them. I was thinking I could do 2 inside the larger hoop and only hoop 11 times.

ANY ideas or comments would be lovely! Thanks
I charged $1 per $1000 stitches when I had my embroidery business. This covers stabilizer, thread, and your time. Some charge a set up fee but I never did.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 AM

it is charged per stitch
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM

I made some labels for a friend, I charged her what I would charge a stranger. Friend or stranger, it cost me the same to make it either way. I have a 10 needle embroidery machine with a 14x8 inch hoop so I was able to get 6 in one hooping. I charged her $6.50 per label and she gladly paid it. Some people do charge by the stitch but that can get pretty expensive and cost prohibitive.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM

I make embroidered monograms for bridal gowns and charge $15 for either a monogram or wedding date. I charge $20 if they want both on the label. That being the case, I would discount if there were multiple labels of the same. I think $10 each is a fair price for your time, materials, expertise, and cost of owning and running your machine. Good luck. Some people really have no idea what is involved in this kind of custom product.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 AM

You may want to check out Ebay. I have seen labels for sale there.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 AM

Depending on how big the labels are it really won't take that much stabilizer and fabric. The biggest issue I think is whether or not you have the software to make the design and if it is only going to be 1 color. Are you going to add a satin stitch to the edge or are they going to make the piece an applique themselves? If using a satin stitch, make the label design very simple and easy to trim in your hoop,
You have to be careful of making the labels as a favor price because there are always those unintended consequences.
If you don''t have software, send me your info and I can whip it up in Embird for you very quickly at no charge.
I would make them for $6.50 if I had the design. That is $143 for the entire job.
If you want the design contact me at [email protected]
Old 03-31-2015, 11:21 AM

I would charge at least $1.75 per 1000 stitches and add the cost of fabric, stabilizer, and thread.....although it's pretty hard to calculate the cost of thread when you can't determine how many yards you will use.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM

My software tells me how many stitches and how many yards of thread it will take. If it is more than one color it does not break it down, just total thread used. I charge $1.00 per 1000 stitches.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by GrannySue View Post
I have seen $5 per hooping plus $1 to 1.50 per 1000 stitches. Don't cut yourself short - thread and stabilizer costs plus your time and wear on machine. Hope this helps.
This is one thing that I was thinking of. Most people don't have a clue as to what a big investment you have in your machine. What if something happened to it during the stitch outs ( and Murpheys Law says it probably will!) Also, do you want to be in business? when the quilters know you did the labels they may ask you do do future ones.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Keep in mind she may come back for more next year. so you'll be doing more. if she can't afford it, do not do it. I made this mistake once a while ago. and Murphy's Law kicked in and cost me a fortune to do her a favor. it came back and bit me on the butt as they say. DO NOT cut yourself short, or your work. $6,50 per label sounds good. You could even chg more if it's a specialty thread. Keep in mind she wants it perfect too. good luck.