Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine embroidery >

machine embroidery

machine embroidery

Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 AM

Hi everyone, I want to machine embroider some towels for gifts. I have an embroidery machine but I am wondering about the stabilizers involved. I think you need two. Any suggestions? This is the first post I've made but I have enjoyed reading all the questions and answers. This is an awsome resourse. Thanks to all you talented quilters.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Boo

Hi Clare and welcome to the forum. I believe you would be best served if you used the heavy duty Solvy stabilizer to do towels. Lay it on the front of the towel and embroider over it. When finished just tear away the excess and the rest will come out with water. By putting the Solvy on the top your stitches won't get lost in the nap of the towel.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Hi Clare: I get the best results when I use "tulle" (I think that's how you spell it) on top, and then the thin water solvy on top of that. Even after you wash away the solvy the towel loops will still come up into the embroidery especially lettering. With the netting it holds down those loops better and there's no problem just trimming around the design to rid the excess of the netting.
I get my stash at the remnants box at most fabric stores for little or nothing and in many colors. Best thing about it is that you don't have to match the color exact just dark or light and you don't need much either.
Good Luck
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 AM

Hi, I've done this before and I use two types - the melt away and the water soluble. I put the water soluble in the back, and then the melt away in the front. The melt away helps the towel stay fluffy while holding down the stitches. The rinse-away is nice because it doesn't pull your stitches out. I've also used adhesive for towels and pinned the melt-away on top out of the embroidery field. That works too. :) Have fun!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Hi and welcome, from Oklahoma.