Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine off/on >

Machine off/on

Machine off/on

Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme View Post
Wow, thanks for posting this...never thought about it, but this could happen to me.
Yeah, I have 4 feet of black hair last thing I need is to loose a big hunk of it.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 AM

It depends on which machine I'm using. If it is mechanical I might, or might not, turn it off. If it is one of my electronic or computerized machines it gets turned off and unplugged. I'm afraid of accidentally shorting something out if a wire gets moved or messing up a connector on an electronic board. Repairs are to expensive.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:57 AM

I never even thought of turning the machine off. I just clean it out then get back to work. I guess maybe I should turn the machine off. I probably won't unplug because that would be too much of a hassle
Old 07-21-2012, 05:54 AM

On my computerized machines, the cord comes right out of my machine- no hazzle at all - zip, it's unplugged.
I do it not so much to save my fingers, but to save a very expensive repair charge if it accidently started when I was cleaning. When I clean the bobbin area of lint, I take the throat plate off and clean the whole area of lint around the feed dogs, everywhere. On the mechanical mechines I then go ahead and oil them according to my instruction manuals. I think cleaning them of lint with them connected would be a lot like changing the oil in your car with the engine running. wouldn't think of doing it for lots of reasons.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Suz

Count me among the lazy ones! No, I do not turn my machine off but I am very careful. I have been impaled once. Lesson learned.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about canned air used to clean the bobbin area. I spoke to my Bernina tech and he showed the class how to use canned air. Do not blow into the machine front to back! Blow from right to left. Take off the needle plate and blow from back to front. If we blow from the front, the lint, etc will travel back toward the handwheel and cause the problems we saw on another discussion here. We were also told to add a drop of oil everytime we add a new bobbin.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:25 AM

I don't. My old machine's on/off switch is broken, so have to plug and unplug, have it plugged into a strip with a pole lamp also plugged in there, so I wouldn't be able to see what I'm doing.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 AM

with the Singer 301A if it is pluged in it is on so I just flip the surge protecter off, that saves wear and tear on a 53 year old plug.

with the Bernina 1630 - I leave the program, turn off the machine, then flip the switch on the surge protector....take NO chances with this darling diva.

with the serger, the switch has an off position but since it is a 'rocker'(three position switch)I do not take chances I switch to the off position and then flip the switch on its surge protector.

Electric shocks are not my favorite thrill...and as for needles (knock on wood) sewing now for 68 years and not sewn any body part, yet ......... ok, if this is TMI, sorry
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Not only should you unplug your machine then, but you should unplug it whenever you are not sewing. Think--lightning strike, power surge, etc.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 PM

45+ years of sewing and have never turned off my machine to clean this area. I also use the extra light plus I usually vacuum that area out so my fingers are never in the way. But you should do what you feel is best for you and your machine. If you feel more comfortable turning it off, that's what you should do.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Not only should you unplug your machine then, but you should unplug it whenever you are not sewing. Think--lightning strike, power surge, etc.
I don't unplug my machines usually but if we have storms coming in, I will unplug them definitely (even with a surge protector in use). We had a TV blow while it happened to be plugged into 2 surge protectors (needed the extra length).

I used to have my main sewing machine on a backup battery unit until my son needed it for his computer. This is good to keep the power consistent even during nice weather. I probably should invest in another one (run around $50).