Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine off/on

Power Poster

Machine off/on

As I was reading the post about cleaning your bobbin area, the first advice was unplug/turn off the machine. Great advice but who actually unplugs/turns off their machine to clean out the bobbin area? I know I should to be safer but then how do I see the lint? Are their any other rebels on QB?

I don't. I'm lazy. I haven't had a problem. Besides, I need the light to see what I'm doing. :O)

I usually do. I use my ott light and a pen flashlight to make sure I get all the lint out.

Blog Entries
    Lesson learned: If I don't turn off the machine, I engage the bobbin winder so the machine won't start sewing when changing needles, bobbins, or lint removing, if I bump the sewing pedal.
    Got fabric?

I turn off the machine before I do any service to it. Last thing I need is my fingers or my long hair caught in it.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Never! I don't even consider it and I'm not aware that I need the machine light for any reason. I do a quick swishing with an art paint brush in bobbin area and feed dogs with each bobbin change.

Yes I turn off and unplug my machine. I have accidently pushed the foot peddle/knee bar or the reverse stitch so that the machine will take a stitch. not only could be dangerous to fingers but also could jam needle or bobbin if bobbin is not in correct position.!!!!! Turning off machine is cheaper than repair.

I don't turn off or unplug the machine but I do unplug the foot pedal. I'm pretty sure *I* won't bump it, but my dog loves to lay on my feet and he presses the pedal sometimes.

Blog Entries
    I don't turn it off. I stick a brush in there. Not my fingers! I know it is the proper thing to do. But, I'm guilty as charged!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Lesson learned: If I don't turn off the machine, I engage the bobbin winder so the machine won't start sewing when changing needles, bobbins, or lint removing, if I bump the sewing pedal.
    Humm good idea. I just use my brush and go but this would be a tad safer Smart girl BellaBoo

Blog Entries
    I always unplug the machine. Then I bring my Ott light around or lay the machine on its side if necessary.
    Stephanie in Mena

Yikes I haven't but never thought of the consequences mentioned here. Will I next time I clean my bobbin .. don't know. I clean my bobbin pretty often, every time my bobbin runs out of thread.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I turn off the machine before I do any service to it. Last thing I need is my fingers or my long hair caught in it.
    Wow, thanks for posting this...never thought about it, but this could happen to me.

I actually turn my machine ON to clean the bobbin area/oil it. I can't see without that light...

If I'm changing the needle, I do leave the needle out until I'm done, but I don't remove it. I usually lift my foot onto the chair so that I can't accidentally press the foot. Maybe I need to start unplugging the foot so I don't have that to worry about. My bobbin runs on a separate motor (awesome during embroidery since I can wind a bobbin for my next color while it sews) so I can't use that tip.

I don't usually turn it off either. I really need the light to see what I'm doing, though I could use my Ott light beside it or something. Just lazy, I guess. 8)
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I don't worry about turning the sewing machine off, because I can be careful with it, but the longarm has a very fast speed and is easy to start up accidentally, so I've learned to turn it off before I clean and oil it. Well, I've almost learned to do it. A few more near misses with my fingers and the needle and I'll completely learn that lesson.

never thought of turning it off while cleaning the bobbinarea......
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

I had to change out the bobbin in my new quilting machine and I DID turn it off before doing so. I'm not too "comfortable" with it yet since I've had it for less than a week. So not sure if I'll always turn it off in the future when changing/cleaning bobbin area..but it might be the safest thing to do.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I turn it off and use my otto light and then a small light I have to make sure I got all the lint removed. Better safe than sorry is my philosophy when it comes to electricity.

If I need to do something to my sewing machine I turn it off and unplug the cord so i can move it around easily, my long arm I do not it is hooked to a computer and would be a pian to turn off between needle changes and oiling....

Quote Originally Posted by Helovesme View Post
    Wow, thanks for posting this...never thought about it, but this could happen to me.
    Yeah, I have 4 feet of black hair last thing I need is to loose a big hunk of it.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

It depends on which machine I'm using. If it is mechanical I might, or might not, turn it off. If it is one of my electronic or computerized machines it gets turned off and unplugged. I'm afraid of accidentally shorting something out if a wire gets moved or messing up a connector on an electronic board. Repairs are to expensive.

I never even thought of turning the machine off. I just clean it out then get back to work. I guess maybe I should turn the machine off. I probably won't unplug because that would be too much of a hassle
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

On my computerized machines, the cord comes right out of my machine- no hazzle at all - zip, it's unplugged.
    I do it not so much to save my fingers, but to save a very expensive repair charge if it accidently started when I was cleaning. When I clean the bobbin area of lint, I take the throat plate off and clean the whole area of lint around the feed dogs, everywhere. On the mechanical mechines I then go ahead and oil them according to my instruction manuals. I think cleaning them of lint with them connected would be a lot like changing the oil in your car with the engine running. wouldn't think of doing it for lots of reasons.

Suz
    Count me among the lazy ones! No, I do not turn my machine off but I am very careful. I have been impaled once. Lesson learned.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about canned air used to clean the bobbin area. I spoke to my Bernina tech and he showed the class how to use canned air. Do not blow into the machine front to back! Blow from right to left. Take off the needle plate and blow from back to front. If we blow from the front, the lint, etc will travel back toward the handwheel and cause the problems we saw on another discussion here. We were also told to add a drop of oil everytime we add a new bobbin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast