Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine question... >

Machine question...

Machine question...

Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM

The only "upgrade" I've done is to buy machines that do something my other machines don't do as well. So, for instance, I wanted some decorative stitches and the option to move the needle so I could be a bit more accurate in piecing--both are things that my 1981 mechanical Brother VX560 didn't do--I kept it as a backup machine and purchased (from Amazon) the Brother PC420 when it went on sale there in 2011. Then I found the Featherweight in a junk store and bought it to clean up and put on Ebay, but while cleaning it I decided I liked it, so....but that's the only one that was a just because purchase--and it's a lot more portable than any of my others, so that's sort of an upgrade. The next machine to show up was the used PQ1500s that I bought specifically for the increased throat space as I was getting tired of pushing large quilts through the 7" space on the two Brother machines and was up against a deadline to finish a number of pieces for a solo show I was scheduled to have in a local gallery. So that was an upgrade in a way. Then I was given the White. I bought the Kenmore off Ebay because it does a better/easier job than my other machines with a rattail binding technique that I like to use on some of my fiber arts projects. Then the original PC420 stopped feeding, and the repair was going to cost $300-- for $20 more I got a new one from Home Depot- and can use the original PC420 for FMQ when I want to do ZigZag FMQ or use the decorative stitches to FMQ since it does everything except feed.

For me, all these purchases made sense for a couple of reasons-- I like to work on multiple projects at once, so having multiple machines set up means I can move from one project to another without taking the time to change how a particular machine is set up. Each machine does something (that I need to do in my fiber art work) better than the others and because they are all inexpensive, they fit my budget. I'm very happy with my choices.

What I'm getting at is that everyone is different in what they need/want in a machine-- maybe making a checklist of what you would like to have that your current machine doesn't have would be a starting point to deciding about upgrading.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-06-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:16 PM

The new machine bug bites me like the new car bug bites my husband. I use my machines until I outgrow what they will do and then trade. Love that new machine smell......
Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 PM

2 yrs ago I got a Kenmore because my vintage Viking died. It has all the decorative stitches that I need, I am not much for decorative sewing anyway. Six yrs ago I like a used HQ longarm but I have backup sewing machines all vintage kenmore, Singer 221, Singer 301, and a Singer Treadle.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Depends on whether upgrading or getting a specialty. I don't upgrade often because I invested in a machine I could grow with. Specialty machines is a different story
Old 12-07-2017, 04:22 AM

I purchased my first Bernina this year and I don’t think I’ll be able to justify a new machine (other than a longarm) for the next 10 years. : )
Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 AM

I agree with those who say to make a list of options you want. Once you have that it will narrow your choices. Then consider what dealers you have nearby, since that is important for getting your machine serviced.

Since you asked, I don't plan on getting a new machine myself unless mine breaks, but the one I have has all the features (or nearly all the features) that I want. It would be fun to try new machines every few years or something, but I already overbuy fabric and don't want to start that with machines!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 AM

I get an additional machine about every 8-10 years. I'm reluctant to get rid of my older ones, because they each have features that are not identical. I can't imagine getting another one, because I do not want a computerized machine. Yes, they can do amazing things, but I keep seeing them as expensive machines that will become obsolete when the software changes a few times. I prefer workhorses that are not software dependent.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 AM

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore that I bought in 1972. That machine has sewn more stitches than our national debt, and has never been serviced! I still use it for really heavy-duty things. My next machine was purchased in 2002--it's a Kenmore (made by Janome). It has a free-arm, and has been a good machine. In 2011, I got a Janome 6600...it was love at first sight and we will surely be together until death do us part. It doesn't have a free-arm, but I have that on the older machine, so no problem. The 6600 has all the wonderful features I've ever wanted.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 AM

Up until about a year ago, I had the same machine for over 20 years. Now I have all the bells and whistles, but I still keep my old Kenmore set up for stitching a straight seam when I have my new machine set up for FMQ.

Watson
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have a 20+ year old Bernina as my "new" machine. It has all the fancy stitches I need plus the bells and whistles I want (without the ones I don't want). And 3 vintage machines. One of which I inherited. The other two my husband bought me as gifts so I guess I don't buy a new machine often.
Me too. My "go to" machine is the Bernina 1260, which I was gifted about 4 yrs. ago by a friend of my Moms. My latest machine is a Tiara II mid-arm so that I can use FMQ to do my own quilts. My other machines range from 8-50 yrs. old. The only machine I upgraded was my Brother 4" embroidery machine to a Babylock 5" x 7", and I bought it used from a friend. I tend to keep mine until they die, just like cars. I get used to their features and know what each can do for me. It's like wearing your favorite pair of slippers LOL Some need and want all the latest upgrades and features and that's fine. Those things don't matter to me, but each person has to decide what is right for them.