Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 AM

I hope I don't offend anyone here, I am a newby to quilting I consider myself pretty ignorant on this subject, (i.e. this question is probably ignorant). I wondered is it so awful to hand quilt and machine quilt all on one quilt?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM

I didn't read through all of the posts here but just wanted to share - I am heading off in a moment to cook dinner! I definitely don't think that hand quilted quilts are any better or worse than machine made quilts. I use a long arm to quilt most of my quilts too so I really hope they aren't second class!! I think it is all personal, what you like to do. Sometimes I like to hand quilt but I really enjoy the satisfaction of quilting quickly. I can tell you that I've probably spent the amount of time it takes to hand quilt a quilt on my machine too with heavy dense heirloom quilting.

There is always a stinker or two in every bunch. I love my guild but there are those who turn their nose up at me, but I refuse to let them rain on my parade. Take it with a grain of salt - and if you fit in better here then hang with us! We love to chat quilts no matter how you put it together!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Hogwash. Because of issues with my hands, I cannot take those tiny needles and thread and hand sew much of anything except darn socks over a lightbulb. And those needles are 3 inches long. To say because of medical issues we use machines to make our quilts, and we don't qualify for a higher class of quilting is beyond my comprehension and puts a sour taste in my mouth. Think I'll go sweeten it up a bit with an M&M or two. Will those hoity toities complain about that too? No wonder many of us 'get away' from it all by hoarding ourselves in our quilting dens.
You aren't sensitive at all, and neither am I. Though many try to insist I am and tell me what to think and do and when. They are just bullying us as that is what they know. The ones who decided that machine quilting isn't really quilting or higher class, are perhaps taking into account where quilting came from eons ago. Guess what? Technology isn't going away. And neither is my machine quilting. Looks just fine to me. Hide the machines in the cabinets, put out a few 'golden needles and thimbles', and call it a hand-sewn quilt. I used my hands, knee, and foot to make that quilt. Only the quilt mongers who stir up the petty stuff will complain, and they aren't allowed in our dens anyway. I am not looking for higher class with what I do. In the grand scheme of living, does it really matter? Nuff said, for crying out loud.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM

I've been called far worse than a second class quilter. People can think whatever they want. I feel lucky to spend time doing what I love. It doesn't need to meet anyone's approval but my own.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
Wonder what these quilt police would say to someone who does only machine embroidered quilts in its entirety!

I usually just respond to folks like that "oh I did not know you were a member of the quilt police force". I also ask them how one gets a position to become a quilt police officer. That usually shuts them up.
Ask them for ID. Where's your badge?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:05 AM

I agree with Mama's Place. I also struggle to learn to machine quilt even though I bought a machine with the BSR. I do hand quilt mostly and am the only one in my quilt group that does. I frequently hear "I am done with mine and if you would just machine quilt yours, you would be finished too." I wish I had their talent to machine quilt but I do not think one type of quilting is superior to the other. I would not be happy with my sloppy machine quilting on a project. But one of the days I will get passively better at it.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Second class is the attitude of the guild "you once belonged to". As far as heirloom, that is what is passed down from one generation to the next. Do they also feel the same as those quilts that are hand-tied? I believe anything made from the heart and with care is totally "FIRST CLASS". If you made it with your own 2 hands and a little help from your friends, then it's made by hand.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM

To each's own. I guess only in a perfect world. Personally I love all kinds of quilting I hand quilt and also am blessed to have a longarm. I am truly amazed by the FMQ people do on the HS. AMAZED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM

I look at it this way.... Their both beautiful! How many quilts would you like to complete in your lifetime? If you machine piece and quilt you will be able to share your love with many more people in your life.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM

no-machine quilting is not second class.Our ancestors would have used machines if they could get them.