Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting "free hand" >

machine quilting "free hand"

machine quilting "free hand"

Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM

I am so glad you asked this question, Jazz. I've learned a lot. Thanks and welcome from Ohio!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks Jazz for asking this question. I'm also a newbie and all this great info will help me as well. Which is another thing I love about QB!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM

When you're practising, if you don't want to mark on your actual fabric, use Press 'n Seal.
Just take a piece of Press 'n Seal (the kind of Saran Wrap that sticks to anything) and draw the pattern you want on it with either a Sharpie marker or a pen.
Then stick it down onto your fabric. Free motion quilt along your line. Then just pull and pick off the Press 'n Seal and you'll have your pattern with no marks!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Leah Day's website, Day Style Designs started me off with just stitching on a rectangle sandwiched piece. I have kept those first stitches and they continue to inspire me. Just bring your bobbin thread to the top and start drawing--anything you like in a repetitive fashion. My first successes were stars and hearts. Remember those grade school stars? Stop at each point, which gives your mind a chance to understand the next direction. Same goes for those hearts. Round from center, down to point--stop and then go up and around to center. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Has anyone mentioned Patsy Thompson's dvd's? She/they are wonderful! Watching them gave me the confidence to try free motioning feather designs. While my feathers are far from perfect, they are okay by me and I had a blast doing them! Can't recommend these dvd's enough. Got mine at the library.

I also think it is really important to have a large level surface to work on to support the weight of your quilt. A slippery surface also helps you move your quilt around. I tried one of the Super Sliders but found I did better taping a piece of clear plastic to my sewing table. Using the special quilting gloves also helps you grip your quilt during quilting.

I agree the people on this board are just incredible! So knowledgeable, helpful and supportive!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Leah Day's website, Day Style Designs started me off with just stitching on a rectangle sandwiched piece. I have kept those first stitches and they continue to inspire me. Just bring your bobbin thread to the top and start drawing--anything you like in a repetitive fashion. My first successes were stars and hearts. Remember those grade school stars? Stop at each point, which gives your mind a chance to understand the next direction. Same goes for those hearts. Round from center, down to point--stop and then go up and around to center. Good luck!
I agree, Leah Day is amazing. She sells books and videos, as well as having free video clips on her blog. She's a great inspiration.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM

I googled Benartex but did not see this backing you mentioned. I e-mailed them, and the reply was just "Pine Boughs" so I looked that up.

Pine Boughs is the name of a print fabric they sell, but I can't see how it guides one in free hand quilting. I think they must have misunderstood my question.

If anyone can direct me more specificly, I'd really appreciate it.