Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting "free hand" >

machine quilting "free hand"

machine quilting "free hand"

Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM

You all are The Nicest People! I just signed into this board this a.m. to ask a question, and already everyone's rushing to help me. I'll look at the video and do my best. . .

Thank you so much!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

don't overlook the use of stencils to create your designs. Not all FMQ is totally free motion designs.
Benartex makes a wonderful preprinted fabric. It was developed for the backing of the quilt (quilt from the back) But it is great to practice on. It is white and off white and comes 108" wide and the design lines wash out when finished. It is a meandering feather design.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM

I have drawn designs on quilts to FMQ. I also like to cut out a simple template, put double stick tape on it, and FMQ around it, moving the template as I go. The book Mindful Meandering by Laura Lee Fritz has a lot of continuous-line quilting designs that you can use, as well as tips for marking your designs. I bought the book from Amazon.com.

Just relax and go for it. Everyone says practice, practice, practice. I find that my stitches are always a little long when I first start stitching, and get better as I go. Even taking a break to change bobbins will interrupt my rhythm. Thank goodness there are no quilt police at my house!

Have fun.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Great! This is what I sort of had in mind, but didn't know if it existed or not. I'll certainly check it out. Thank you so, so much!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Benartex. I'm looking it up. I am so grateful to you.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Practice on paper, you can get press n seal and draw the design on it, be careful it can wrinkle. lay it on the fabric using it for you template. you can sew right thru it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 AM

WHAT a great idea! Thank you! I am so humbled by everyone's generosity with their wisdom and encouragement.

I will certainly try this.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 AM

Everyone's work is so intimidatingly beautiful that I've been reluctant to participate, but now I’m unable to resist!

Don't feel reluctant in any way. Every one was a beginner at one time.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 AM

Don't be intimidated by non- computerised sewing machine. That is what I use and it does the better quilting, Try to get a single stitch hole plate for quilting, as you will get a better stitch, lower your feed dogs and just do an all - over meandering stipple until you get confident. I have a practice sandwich for every quilt that I do and I start with it, to make sure the tension is right and to get myself into the swing of things. I usually spend about 10mins warming up and then get into it with the real quilt.
You will get better as you go and don't bother to fix up the first stuff as it will be unnoticeable amongst the overall design.
The thing you most need is confidence - not fancy gadgets. All the best.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
don't overlook the use of stencils to create your designs. Not all FMQ is totally free motion designs.
Benartex makes a wonderful preprinted fabric. It was developed for the backing of the quilt (quilt from the back) But it is great to practice on. It is white and off white and comes 108" wide and the design lines wash out when finished. It is a meandering feather design.
Many thanks for this information. In all the years I have been quilting I have never encountered this fabric and would have liked to in the beginning stages to save my drawing all the designs. It is certainly good to pass on to others.