Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting.... Am I the only one? >

Machine Quilting.... Am I the only one?

Machine Quilting.... Am I the only one?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM

I agree with Tartan, love the spray and the batting that is ready for me to iron the sandwich. Also, ironing the starched backing and using starch on the top works well. I am now starching everything that I quilt and that helps with a number of small "issues". I am doing both machine quilting (in the ditch) and also by hand. All of the above are making my completed projects look better and better. THANK YOU, Quilting Board for all of your suggestions. Makes being an older quilting newbie much, much easier!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM

I use Sullivan's spray and lay out on two tables. For lap size quilts, I lay backing wrong side up and then batting. I fold back the batting and spray, smooth the batting with my hands, lay the top on the batting, smoothing it, check the back side and smooth if nec. and turn the sandwiched half and repeat. I do not tape or clip the backing. The spray allows repositioning and it is better to do so than when using pins. No need for pins or thread basting. It works for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 PM

I also had and sometimes still have your problem. When I use spray glue (just brought back some elmer's washable school glue to try) plus safety pins, it seems to work the best for me. I was able to do a king without problems when I used lots of glue.

But I don't starch the front and back, either. I can see that would help, but I don't really have starch easily available and don't want to get into making my own. I also use poly batting. It is definitely true that the thinner the batting the easier it is to NOT get puckers.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 AM

Try lightening up on the pressure on your foot and see if that helps a bit.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Spray basting has been such a help to me. If I didn't have that, I would definitely use Elmer's washable school glue. I do use the glue or glue sticks for basting seams and binding. I just don't use pins of any kind very often. Thank goodness for glue.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 PM

We need a tute on Elmer's Glue! Or, is there one?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM

I wonder if you are pinning to closely. I pin 6-8 inches apart and seldom have a problem with ripples or tucks on the backs. I quilt on a Babylock Tiara, but before that used a regular sewing machine and still didn't seem to have problems with tucks. I always start quilting in the middle and work to the oursides so that it is easier to smooth any wrinkles that I feel. Good luck with your quilting.