Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting with a frame/without a frame?? >

Machine quilting with a frame/without a frame??

Machine quilting with a frame/without a frame??

Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM

I have been finding answers to the same questions except my reasoning has mainly to do with being too old to pin on the floor. It seemed to me that people who machine quilts pin either on the floor or clamped to a table. No one has diverge from that. Using spray basting was recommended but I have asthma so I can't be around anything that will shoot particles into the air. I too have been reading as much of the posts as I can come across too. I think the best bet would be some type of a quilting frame. You will have to come up with new ways to keep your cat off the quilt when it is in the frame. It is very expensive and there are so many variety. I am still researching. I think I might have to make a notebook to keep track of what I liked or not liked about which frame.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Try wearing a mask from Home Depot when you spray baste. They are reusable.
Used for painting or sanding to keep from breathing in particles.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM

The mask will work if the spray is a pump. However when it is an aresal can type the chemical that is used to create pressure for the spray to come out lingers in the air. It makes the air so thick I can't breathe. I was at a LQS when the owner sprayed for me when I was making a bag. I waited outside. When she was done I came in and about died. It felt like trying to breathe through water. I had to avoid that area for a long time and I held my breath a lot until I got my bag finished. Even while I was working with it it was still effecting my breathing. When I come across a project that requires me to use s basting spray, I am sure I can come up with a way to adapt. I know a lot of people swear by them especially on small projects. Besides, what are DH for? But I will keep the mask in mind. If I remember correctly, I think there are masks that will filter out chemical ordors too. They are pricey, but if I share it with my husband's car hobby he might go for it. You never know?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

The good quality masks are not that expensive and I'm pretty sure they're available from Amazon.

Another thing people can do is tape a sheet to a garage wall, pin the quilt sandwich to the sheet, and spray with the garage door open. This can also be done outside. If a closed garage door is not suitable for a backdrop, one can purchase a couple of panels of insulation foam (4'x8'), duct tape them together, prop them against a garage door or the side of the house, and pin to them. Several people on the forum have done these things and even posted pictures. Sure beats getting down on the floor!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Prism99, your suggestion sounds very feasible for me. I will remember to do that as soon as my DH clears out our garage and put them into his shop.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

I have a Grace frame and a Juki machine. Check out the combo deals on them at Sewvacdirect.com. The prices are about the best you can find on new. I love mine. I always said I didn't have enough room for one but mine is set up in my bedroom. It takes up half the room but all I need is a bed and dresser. Now that other space is taken up with something I love to use.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:47 PM

I like the explanation of the one-third batting type of quilting. iwill have to try that. I have a few larger quilts that I have been putting off wrestling under the machine.