Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting intricate designs >

Machine quilting intricate designs

Machine quilting intricate designs

Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Oh, and check out tattoo parlors. They may be willing to let you copy something there.....or they may not. Those designs are usually copyrighted - rf

Wow, I never thought of that. What a great idea. Tattoo flash would be a great resource for pattern and color ideas.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by refibered
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I probably already know the answer, but what does FMQ stand for?

I highly doubt that I won't need a pattern. Knowing me, I'll go beyond what my skill level can handle and pick out a design with a ridiculous amount of lines which will make it impossible to work without a pattern.
FMQ = Free Motion Quilting

I second the coloring book idea -- for lots of quilting/applique patterns. Even combine pages to make your design. You could also draw the design yourself and make copies of it for using on your quilt. Oh, and check out tattoo parlors. They may be willing to let you copy something there.....or they may not. Those designs are usually copyrighted.

rf
What exactly is free motion quilting? I've heard of it so many times, but I don't quite know what it is.

About the tattoo parlor thing, the friend who I want to make that black and purple diamond quilt for actually makes money doing temporary body art at fairs during the summer and wants to go for an apprenticeship as a tattoo artist. She might be able to help. :)
Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
lin

Free motion quilting is done with the feed dogs down and you in control of which direction the needle goes by moving the fabric freely under the needle. You can do this by following a drawn line pattern that you've transferred to the quilt top, or you can do what I call "free-form" free motion quilting which is done the same way only without any pattern to follow...as is done when you do all-over designs such as meandering and loops, or any other design you can create as you go. I'm doing free-form feathers in the borders on a quilt right now. It takes a bit of practice, but it's so much fun. And once you get the hang of it, there's no stopping what you can do! :)
Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 AM

If you do not feel confident with your skills for free motion quilting after practicing your design, I recommend finding a professional quilter to complete your work. If you have a pattern that you would like completed in each block they can usually figure out how to make that handquilted work fit for a machine. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 PM

I wonder what ever happened to the Flying_V_Goddess? I hope she didn't give up quilting!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:38 PM

How could you give up quilting? lol
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM

there are lots of "free patterns" on the internet. or try a pirate pattern for the scull. good luck.