Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting question >

Machine quilting question

Machine quilting question

Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 PM

For straight line quilting I start from the centre simply to reduce the amount of quilt in my harp space. I go from the centre out to the edge, turn the quilt around and do the same again. I would rather go from one side to the other...seems more logical but even with the large harp space of the 710, i just can't comfortably fit all of a quilt through. I don't spray baste, have tried 505 numerous times but it never really adheres well to my wool/poly batting and I was getting shifting around of the top whilst quilting. I am now back to my 500 quilting pins and feeling my quilts are more secure.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Bkay, I learned from Lori Kennedy to not tuck in those threads but to take a few tiny stitches at the start and end. So much easier than the other way and if it's not going to be judged, which mine aren't who cares. Lori makes wonderful quilts and I've learned a lot from her blog The Inbox Jaunt. I'm new at FMQ and this works great for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Thank you, Prism99. This is the best explanation I have seen of fabric creep while quilting and how to stabilize the quilt. Much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 PM

I have not done straight line quilting. I spray baste my quilts & "scribble" across the quilt edge to edge. I do start in the center & then work 1 side to the edge. Then start from the center & work to the other edge. I generally do twin size & smaller but have done this on a queen size for myself & it worked fine, no puckers.