Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting....start in the middle? >

Machine quilting....start in the middle?

Machine quilting....start in the middle?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by KimS
When quilting by machine do you start in the middle and work your way out like you do when you hand quilt? I'm going to use 505 Adhesive Spray and depending on how comfortable I am with that will dictate whether I also pin it. This is my first time machine quilting.
I'm by far NO EXPERT, but this is what I do. First of all, let me clarify that the only thing I know how to do is stitch in the ditch and cross-hatch. I do start in the middle for stitching in the ditch. For crosshatching, I go corner to corner both ways, forming a big X . Then I stitch down one side of the stitched diagonal, and then down the other side of the diagonal. Keep doing this until I've reached the edges My quilts stay squared.

As I said I have a lot to learn but this works for me.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I always go right around the outside first and then work my way in.No puckers,flat,stable quilt results except when I put a bit of trapunto in them.
This is how I do it also, I have done up to King Size this way. I used 505 in the red can!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 AM

I don't always start in the middle on small quilts. In fact I LIKE starting in one corner for anything twin size or smaller. For me the important thing is to smooth and adjust from the same point all the time. I usually start in the left top corner and smooth out and down. And I don't baste (too time consuming); I pin every 2-3 inches with quilters safety pins. Try different ways and do what works for you.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 AM

When you machine quilt you never use that spray. You start in the middle, but before that you pin with safety pins . And I mean pin. Always check on the back to see if it is smooth. Their alot of free short things to watch on the computer . Just type in machine quilting and watch how to do it. They really helped me and I never get a pucker. I have only been doing this sense Janruary and if I can do it you can do it. Look up my quilts they are all machine quilted. Josie
Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 AM

I use spray basting on smaller quilts/wall hangings, and I've never had to pin them. I do pin larger quilts however.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM

I always start in the middle too. One thing I discovered is when I sandwich it, I put the quilt top upside down on the floor, then the batting and the backing on top. Then pin and flip over and pin the top and take the pins out from the back. A little more work but I don't get as many wrinkles on the backing!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ajohn52
I use spray basting on smaller quilts/wall hangings, and I've never had to pin them. I do pin larger quilts however.
This - and I start where I start and work outwards, doesn't have to be the middle. I often repin as well - no matter how well you baste, it WILL shift when you FMQ. Plus, do not roll the excess, just looslely scrunch it. If you roll it, the underside is pulled tighter than the top and you WILL get wrinkles.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Sharon Schamber says if you baste the quilt her way it doesn't matter where you start...
So how does she say to baste?
yeah. Wondering that too. Didn't find anything on a search.

DUH! Never mind ... I was spelling "basting" wrong!! Yeah - had Schambers right - basting was wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
You know, I tried her method on my last quilt and I hated it so hard. Every time I tried to shift the quilt in my lap my fingers got caught in those huge strands and I'd yank it all out of whack. I spent more time swearing at it than I spent stitching it. I picked the whole freaking thing out the next day and re-basted the way I usually do (flat on the floor, starting at the middle, 6-inch grid with inch-long running stitches). My way may be overkill and it takes longer, but I can turn and pull and snap it like a towel and there is no fear that it'll shift.

I did use her tip to starch the backing and I'll continue doing that in the future, but I didn't like her basting method one little bit. I mean it just plain made me mad. :P

I found it took londer her way than to spray baste with a few pins
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
Sharon Schamber says if you baste the quilt her way it doesn't matter where you start...

DUH! Never mind ... I was spelling "basting" wrong!! Yeah - had Schambers right - basting was wrong!

You know, I tried her method on my last quilt and I hated it so hard. Every time I tried to shift the quilt in my lap my fingers got caught in those huge strands and I'd yank it all out of whack. I spent more time swearing at it than I spent stitching it. I picked the whole freaking thing out the next day and re-basted the way I usually do (flat on the floor, starting at the middle, 6-inch grid with inch-long running stitches). My way may be overkill and it takes longer, but I can turn and pull and snap it like a towel and there is no fear that it'll shift.

I did use her tip to starch the backing and I'll continue doing that in the future, but I didn't like her basting method one little bit. I mean it just plain made me mad. :P

I found it took longer her way than to spray baste with a few pins
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM

I found it took longer her way than to spray baste with a few pins

Dang this new laptop....still didn't get it right. I takes me longer using her way than to pin