Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: machine quilting threads

My Janome machine won't take either YLI machine quilting thread or Superior King Tut - they're too thick and jam in the tension discs (and believe me, I've tried every possible tension setting). I assumed that it must be a quirk of that machine, as if they're sold as machine quilting threads, they should work on a machine - right?! I've just bought a Singer 201, specifically for FMQ because of the problems with the Janome, and am very surprised and disappointed to find that I've got exactly the same issue. Do other people have this problem or have I just been very unlucky?

Blog Entries
    Sorry you are having problems with those threads. I haven't tried machine quilting thread, I use the cotton Essentials Thread from Connecting Threads and my machine loves it. Maybe you should just switch to a regular cotton thread.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats
    Sorry you are having problems with those threads. I haven't tried machine quilting thread, I use the cotton Essentials Thread from Connecting Threads and my machine loves it. Maybe you should just switch to a regular cotton thread.
    I'm just reluctant to admit defeat! If they say they're machine quilting threads, an obstinate bit of me insists that they should work on my machines - or at least on one of them!

check out this video about machine threads...... http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/4268 then check your thread to see if it has "memory". If so, then it's probably a waxed or coated thread.

Blog Entries
    I have used the King Tut with no problem in my Brother and Janome. I hope you get the problem sorted as it must be frustrating :(

I have a temperamental Bernina Love King Tut but took some trial and error to get it working Have found I have to use correct needle to thread

I do not know what model Janome you have but I have this for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Tension.../dp/B002F01SY0

It is suppose to help with the issues of FMQ on it. While I have not yet had the opportunity to use it, it does get rave reviews in the Yahoo group. I hope you resolve your issue soon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grannyrae
    I have a temperamental Bernina Love King Tut but took some trial and error to get it working Have found I have to use correct needle to thread
    I can't even get as far as thinking about needles, as it won't go through the tension discs! It seems weird that I should have the same problem on 2 such different machines -simple 1950 vintage workhorse and 8 year old mid-range Janome - so I'm curious to know if this is a common problem with these threads or I've just been very unlucky. I'd love to be able to use King Tut - wonderful colours, and Superior is my favourite brand.

i also use king tut on my janome 11000 with no problem and love it
    good luck
    Gale

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyrae
    I can't even get as far as thinking about needles, as it won't go through the tension discs! It seems weird that I should have the same problem on 2 such different machines -simple 1950 vintage workhorse and 8 year old mid-range Janome - so I'm curious to know if this is a common problem with these threads or I've just been very unlucky. I'd love to be able to use King Tut - wonderful colours, and Superior is my favourite brand.
    Take one of your machines and the thread to your nearest machine dealer. Since it's happening on such different machines it's more likely something you're doing or not doing right.

Blog Entries
    i've been long-arm quilting for 10 years now- and can not use YLI quilting threads either- it's not your machine- its the thread-
    i've been very upset in the past to go to a show- spend $18+ on a cone of thread only to bring it home and find i can not use it for quilting-
    but it happens.
    try to find quilting threads that are 50-60 wt threads- they do not have to say quilting thread to be used- i use alot of different threads for quilting- just not yli threads-
    i've had very good luck with the machine quilting threads from Connecting Threads- and also Superior threads *superior threads have wonderful free thread/needle charts that will help you choose the correct needle/thread combination for any project- a very good resource* i buy thread by wt/fiber content- not by company name
    in my long-arm trying to use cotton thread is usually my nightmare-
    and when choosing by weight- the higher the number the finer the thread---12 wt thread is like a string- very heavy/course---50 wt thread is quite fine---silk thread is often 60-100 wt.
    the reason the numbers are how they are-is based on how many miles of thread it takes to get a pound---if it takes 20 miles of thread to = a pound--that is 20 wt thread---if it takes 40 miles to = a pound that is 40wt thread....ect.

[quote=ckcowl]i've been long-arm quilting for 10 years now- and can not use YLI quilting threads either- it's not your machine- its the thread-

[quote]

Yes, I'm sure it's the threads, not me, and the machines in that these two don't seem to have a tension setting that will allow these thicker threads through the discs.
    I love all the information that Superior provide: in fact I may email them about this. I took it as just a one-off when I had the problem with the Janome, but it became really disappointing when the 201 was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Take one of your machines and the thread to your nearest machine dealer. Since it's happening on such different machines it's more likely something you're doing or not doing right.
    Always a possibility :) . But I don't think it's me in this case, as I've no problems with any other threads, just these thicker ones. I did talk to the Janome dealer and Janome themselves about it a while ago, and they just said use finer threads.... I suppose it was unreasonable of me to expect a machine labelled "quilter's edition" to take machine quilting thread :roll:

That's what i use too and never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    That's what i use too and never had a problem
    I'll have to have a look for Connecting Threads -not sure how available they are in the UK. My standard is Superior's Masterpiece, which I've used successfully for quilting - but I just love the King Tut colours!

Blog Entries
    I used poly thread from Connecting Threads my machine a Viiking didn't like Superior Threads.

Blog Entries
    did you try different, larger needles?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    did you try different, larger needles?
    The thread's sticking in the tension discs, so I didn't think the needle would make any difference.

What model Janome do you have? I have the 6600 and have no problem with the King Tut threads, or even Aurifil 28 wt!! I have also had no problem getting a heavier Connecting Threads Essential through the tension discs (but stopped using that thread because of all the fuzz it creates down in the needle and bobbin area!).

I suspect your discs might need to be cleaned. Perhaps you were using a thread with a lot of fluff, and the fluff is now embedded in the discs??

King Tut is a great thread, and IMO not too "thick" to get through the tension discs.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    What model Janome do you have? I have the 6600 and have no problem with the King Tut threads, or even Aurifil 28 wt!! I have also had no problem getting a heavier Connecting Threads Essential through the tension discs (but stopped using that thread because of all the fuzz it creates down in the needle and bobbin area!).

I suspect your discs might need to be cleaned. Perhaps you were using a thread with a lot of fluff, and the fluff is now embedded in the discs??

King Tut is a great thread, and IMO not too "thick" to get through the tension discs.
    Mine's a Janome 4800. I've just had it serviced to check the tension discs, but this problem continues. Similarly, my "new" 201 had been thoroughly cleaned and serviced. I'm relieved to hear that the 6600 is OK with King Tut, as I'm hoping that one happy day, if I ever find the money, I'll have one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Mine's a Janome 4800. I've just had it serviced to check the tension discs, but this problem continues. Similarly, my "new" 201 had been thoroughly cleaned and serviced. I'm relieved to hear that the 6600 is OK with King Tut, as I'm hoping that one happy day, if I ever find the money, I'll have one of those!
    The fact that you're having the same problem with two machines and one of them a 201 really says it's something you're doing or not doing. A 201 will sew with anything as long as the needle eye is big enough for it. King Tut is not a thick thread. All the King Tut I have is 40/3 which is barely thicker than a regular 50 piecing thread.

Banned
    I use King Tut on my Janome quite a bit. I changed the needle to a 14 top stitch needle because the thread shredded whan I used a smaller sized needle, but I didn't have to mess with the tension. I've found that I have better results with the larger topstitch needle when I use black 40 weight cotton threads also.

Blog Entries
    I know you are saying it jams in the tension disks, but have you tried using a #14 top stitch needle with the larger eye and deeper groove? Have not experienced your problem on my Janome. Hope you find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    and when choosing by weight- the higher the number the finer the thread---12 wt thread is like a string- very heavy/course---50 wt thread is quite fine---silk thread is often 60-100 wt.
    the reason the numbers are how they are-is based on how many miles of thread it takes to get a pound---if it takes 20 miles of thread to = a pound--that is 20 wt thread---if it takes 40 miles to = a pound that is 40wt thread....ect.

WOW! I feel pretty stupid, because I've been sewing for over 40 yrs. and quilting for around 5 now and I didn't even know this about thread. Thanks for the info ckcowl. You learn something everytime you log onto this site! I love it.......

I had a question. Does anyone on here use Aurifil thread? I was just on Keepsake Quilting and they had a 10 pack of 50 wt. Wild Rose....gorgeous....for $40.00. Just wondering if that was a good deal?

Is your presser foot up or down when you are threading your machine?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast