Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine sewed bindings--front or back? >

machine sewed bindings--front or back?

machine sewed bindings--front or back?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 PM

I sew ALL my bindings by machine. I prefer to sew it on the back, then stitch on the front with a SITD foot with the needle slightly to the right. The guide rides on the fold and the stitch is always a consistent distance from the fold. The bobbin is the color of the backing as the stitching is on the backing fabric, not the binding, as it bothers me if that is off. This way it blends in with the quilting on the back and isn't really noticed.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Wow. There are so many ideas here. The one that surprised me the most was where the binding is sewed on the front--glued on the back--and finished on the front. Never heard of that one. I watched the video with using yarn, but I don't have one of those feet. Love the idea of a decorative stitch--I tried that actually, but the thread matched so well, it can't be seen--which is fine. You have given me much to ponder--thank you!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by BeckyBryan View Post
I have found that I get a better miter in the corners if I fold the opposite direction as yours are shown. in other words, when I reach a corner, I fold the bottom up first, then bring the side over the top. I have greater control when sewing over the bulk of the corner if the thickest part of the bulk is sewn first. The needle doesn't have to fight to get over the folded corner. Keep trying! You'll get it!
I tried this today - what a difference! I'm going to do this all the time. Thanks for posting!