Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine sewing binding >

Machine sewing binding

Machine sewing binding

Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I also do as most of the others, sew to back and stitch to the front. One thing that helps me is the binding foot, it helps keep it straight. Also whenever I am ready to sew it to the front, I often get some scraps and a little piece of scrap batting and do a few practice pieces. That way I know what it will look like and can adjust things particularly when using a decorative stitch. If it is real thick I will stitch the top with a denim needle.
I've already been practising TexasSunshine. I'm busting to get this quilt done and I'm inspired to do some more. I'm so addicted.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by robinred55 View Post
Thanks for the info woody. I'll check it out.
Are you having a bad Winter also in Canberra. It's awful here in Adelaide.
Yes it's been pretty cold and miserable, the skiers are happy, there is plenty of snow on the mountains, but I'm not a skier
Old 07-26-2014, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

One of my favourite machine binding technique was posted by Charisma. It is under the title Quick Machine Binding With Flange. If you put the title in the search box it should come up. You prepare your 2 colour binding strip, sew it to the back, bring the binding to the front and stitch along the flange seam. If you match the thread to the backing colour it turns out super.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:23 AM

In my first quilting class, I was taught two methods. One was the standard approach of sewing the folded binding to the front then hand stitch it down on the back. The second method was to sew the folded binding on the back of the quilt, fold the binding around to the front and machine stitch it down on the front. My Juki only does straight stitches and if I do the second method I get uneven results on the back, although the front looks great, and it is much easier and faster. I use wonder clips to hold down the folded binding, maybe I need to try Elmer's. Is there a secret to getting the straight stitching even on the back?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
One of my favourite machine binding technique was posted by Charisma. It is under the title Quick Machine Binding With Flange. If you put the title in the search box it should come up. You prepare your 2 colour binding strip, sew it to the back, bring the binding to the front and stitch along the flange seam. If you match the thread to the backing colour it turns out super.
here's the link to the tut
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html
thanks for the reminder Tartan... i've been meaning to try that!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:30 AM

I cut my binding at 2 1/4, do not press it, sew on the front with a 1/4 inch seam, and then fold it over and press, glue, press again to set the glue, and stitch in the ditch on the front. The front looks great, and the back is passable. As I get more experience, it's looking better and better. My current method has been gleaned from tips I've gotten right here. I always think I might hand sew the binding, but when I get there I'm ready to be finished and will just do the whole thing by machine.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 AM

I love the binding with flange, it is my go to method now.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 AM

Ricky Tim's has a great video on this and he now finishes all his quilts with his piped binding method. The video is called Grand Finale and also covers all kinds of ideas on quilting your quilt. I just attended his 3 day seminar in Cedar Rapids IA with Alex Anderson and Kim Holland of Australia. They had a lot of their quilts on display so you could look at them up close and personal. www.rickytims.com
Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 AM

I also have to machine sew due to arthritis in my hands. The last time I bound a wall hanging for my friend was a huge success. I sewed it to the back and flipped it around to the front and used a blind hem stitch with invisible thread. It turned out really nice and looked just like hand stitching!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 AM

What a great idea if you don't have enough fabric of one color! Also takes the "worry" out of which color to use!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post