Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: machine stitching the binding questions

Blog Entries
    I usually stitch the binding to the front and hand sew it to the back. I've read a couple of times now about people who machine stitch their binding on using the stitch-in-the-ditch foot.

Questions for those that do this: I was wondering ~ how are the corners done? Also, what do you do to be sure the back actually catches in the thread?

I too will be interested to read how people do this. I have always done what you have K. Machine the binding on the front and hand stitch on the back. I miter my corners.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I miter mine too, but can't visualize how it's done if you're stitching in the ditch.

I have stitched the binding on and I stitch to the back first then do a decorative stitch on the front, mitered corners and all.

Stitching by machine NEVER looks as pretty as hand-sewn - I don't care what anyone says... :D

I like the look of hand sewing the binding, but if the quilt will be dragged around and washed often, it last longer with machine sewn binding. When I do that, I too sew fron the back fold it to the front, and add a decorative stitch.

I make my mittered bindings with the Mittered Binding Tool. I used to fold them mittered, but since I found the tool I would not do it any other way.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...indMtrTool.php

Maria

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to a Youtube video that shows how to attach binding completely by machine "invisibly". (Think Harriet Hargrave's invisible machine applique.) She shows how to miter the corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw

In order to have machine binding look nice, I think you have to use either the invisible method above or use a decorative stitch. Basically you attach the binding to the back first, then turn to the front and finish with either invisible machine applique or a decorative stitch.

Banned
    i do this all the time.

i attach my binding to the front the normal way to have mitered corners.

then i fold it over to the back and use elmers school glue to tack it in place on the back (sharon schamber method).

then i stitch in the ditch on the front. i don't use a stitch in the ditch foot. i do a much better job with an open toe foot because i can see everything.

i've tried the sewing to the back and doing the decorative stitch on the front and i don't care for that look at all.

I have been reluctant to finish quilts because I don't want to do the hand stitching of the binding. Lucky me, I found the Ricky Tims method on his video: Grand Finale. I just completed a UFO, my Fox wall hanging with this method yesterday, and I really enjoyed it.

On his video, Ricky demonstrates a step by step technique to create a binding, complete with a small piping, which is put onto the quilt completely by machine. The binding strips are sewn onto the quilt's BACK, one side at a time, and the corners are mitered. The binding is then rolled around to the front of the quilt, and stitch-in-the-ditch of the piping on the front of the quilt. NO hand stitching at all! It was fairly easy, but I could not have done it for the first time without the video.

This is a very general idea of how he does this, I recommend getting copy of his video, check out your library, or it is available for sale on the internet if you are interested in binding by machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I've done some bindings completely by machine. i pin, pin, pin the corners though. and watch where I'm going. usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Stitching by machine NEVER looks as pretty as hand-sewn - I don't care what anyone says... :D

Maybe is doesn't look as nice, but I for one do because i have carpal tunnel and it hurts my wrist and fingers to hand stitch.

I had to laugh a little...my handstitching is AWFUL, and I seem to prick every finger on both hands, so I do AVOID picking up a needle in my hand to do anything! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Athomesewing, I like that method! thanks for sharing! Your quilt looks good!
    Thanks! It is actually my FIRST binding. :)

Blog Entries
    I do like the look of the binding with the piping. I'll have to check at the library to see if I can get that DVD to view.

I did check the You-Tube videos. I don't think I'd like the look of the buttonhole or decorative stitchs on the binding. Maybe I'll try it out on a scrap or doll quilt to see how it looks.

I do use Sharon Schamber's glue method to assemble the strips, but I don't glue the binding to the quilt. I will try that method of gluing to the back and stitching from the front to see how that looks.

Well, I beg to differ with you on this point. I'm sure you meant no offense by your comment, but I would like to toss in another perspective here. There are many of us out here, that, for whatever health reason may not be physically able to whip stitch our bindings by hand, myself included. To me, our quilts are quite beautiful because we have found a way to pursue our love for quilting and giving to others despite our various handicaps.

When I give someone a quilt or other project that I made for them, they look not at the binding and the perfection of the workmanship, but rather, they look at me and smile appreciatively, grateful for the time and effort that I gave to their gift knowing that it was more difficult for me to do than someone without health issues.

I machine stitched a mini quilt recently after basting it. It went on pretty easily. I am now doing the corners by turning under and tacking.

Quote Originally Posted by PamH

Maybe is doesn't look as nice, but I for one do because i have carpal tunnel and it hurts my wrist and fingers to hand stitch.
    Pam,

You keep up the great work anyway you can. I too, have health issues that prevent me from whip stitching most of my quilts, too. No one has ever told me that something I quilted for them was any less beautiful than anyone else who hand stitched theirs. Kudos to those of us who find alternate ways to keep doing what we love.

I also use the elmers glue to hold the back binding in place then use the ditch foot on the front.
    Hand sewing is not for me to much work.

Sorry - no answer here, but that's the same question that keeps me from trying it.

One thing to keep in mind: If you are going to enter your quilt in a fair or competition, the judges like hand sewn binding, small stitches, equal amounts of binding in the front and back and full bindings. The only red ribbons that our guild got at the fair were on the quilts where one of the girls uses a machine instead of hand stitching, all the rest were blues.

Banned
    yes, all bets are off when its related to show quality quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    And I don't quilt for judges.

I do what you do, start in the front, roll it over, pin like crazy making sure it covers just a bit more than the front part of the binding, then stitch in the ditch from the front.

You don't want to see my hand stitching.

tim in san jose

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    And I don't quilt for judges.

I do what you do, start in the front, roll it over, pin like crazy making sure it covers just a bit more than the front part of the binding, then stitch in the ditch from the front.

You don't want to see my hand stitching.

tim in san jose
    well, if its like your feet its not that bad :wink:

I too stitch my binding to the back first and fold to the front.

Also, sometimes is it's a quilt that's going to get lots of wear---for a child---after quilting I trim the batting, as usual, and then trim the backing 1 inch all around. I fold that to the edge of the quilt top and batting and then fold once again over the top. Do this and stitch each of the 2 sides and then the top and bottom. Top stitch with a walking foot or use a decorative stitch. Corners aren't mitered this way but if you're in a hurry and it's a quilt that's going to get lots of wear it works great.

Alot of opinions on this one! I machine stitch my bindings to the front, hand stitch to the back and miter the corners. I do not always have perfectly mitered corners but I try to do the best I can. I have a friend who always has her quilting on display for others in her home (UFO's, WIP's, etc.) Her quilting is very very very even and neat - almost perfect one might say... mine, on the other hand, is not so much... BUT I have fun and I enjoy my quilting and no matter if I get compliments or not I will continue to try to improve and do what I love doing - no matter if it's perfect(ly displayed) or not... :) I LOVE to hand stitch the binding on - if I LOVED to machine stitch it I would - we need to do what we love and do it how we are able to - - - my quilts may never make it to a show, but they are all loved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Well, I beg to differ with you on this point. I'm sure you meant no offense by your comment, but I would like to toss in another perspective here. There are many of us out here, that, for whatever health reason may not be physically able to whip stitch our bindings by hand, myself included. To me, our quilts are quite beautiful because we have found a way to pursue our love for quilting and giving to others despite our various handicaps.

When I give someone a quilt or other project that I made for them, they look not at the binding and the perfection of the workmanship, but rather, they look at me and smile appreciatively, grateful for the time and effort that I gave to their gift knowing that it was more difficult for me to do than someone without health issues.
    I don't think anyone could have said it better. Most of us quilt because we love doing it. We aren't entering it in a show. We give them to people we know will appreciate them, perfect or not. I honestly like the binding hand done, but because of arthritis, I know that in the future, that will probably not be an option for me and I will be perfectly ok with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast